Windows 10 VM Not Seeing SMB Share of Host TrueNas System

Dragonhead

Cadet
Hello,

System: Motherboard: X9SCM-F, 16GBs ram, installed onto an SSD. Version 21.02-ALPHA. I have two pools installed. One for a VM and one mirrored pool with an SMB share that I'm using to test this. One network port being used, other network port and IPMI ones not. No other add-in cards.

I have successfully installed a Windows 10 VM on TrueNas Scale. I have a Windows share set-up on the system that the VM is installed in that I want to access by the VM. I can access the share from other computers. And on the VM I can access a share set-up on a different system. But I can't access the share or TrueNas website from the VM that is on the TrueNas system the VM itself is running on. Seems that someone else has had the same problem as me here a year ago? ( https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/virtual-linux-machine-smb-shares.86898/ ) Gallery of supported images: https://imgur.com/a/AuwS77M . I have all of the "allow Windows to see network devices" settings on that I can find. Thanks for any help.

Dragonhead

Cadet
A bump. From what I've read I need to create a "bridge" interface to see the local network from the VM? I took screenshots of myself trying to get that working but with no success. Would really love some pointers getting this working. From my lack of experience in networking and virtual machines, I'm probably not finding the right keywords to find the solutions online. Could I really be the one of three out of thousands of users that wants to do this? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Help_01.PNG
    Help_01.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Help_02.PNG
    Help_02.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 372
  • Help_03.PNG
    Help_03.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 361
  • Help_04.PNG
    Help_04.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Help_05.PNG
    Help_05.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Help_06.PNG
    Help_06.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 295
  • Help_07.PNG
    Help_07.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Help_08.PNG
    Help_08.PNG
    40.1 KB · Views: 375

Dragonhead

Cadet
And update. I got it to work. A reply on Reddit said that Truenas would block a connection to the same subnet. In order to have a second subnet, I installed a second network card in my router, and another one in the Nas. Passed the pci card through. Worked right away. Now I can finally finished this project I started 11 years ago.

proligde

Dabbler
Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same problem:

I have the same issue and putting in a second NIC does indeed solve the problem, but I think it does not have anything to do with different subnets.

I assume all your NICs are receiving IPs from the same DHCP, thus being put in the same subnet anyway. The problem as I understand it is, that the KVM virtualization of truenas SCALE works completely differently (i.e. blocking traffic between host and guest) from the bhyve virtualization in truenas CORE where this works out of the box, having only one NIC. Details I found in this thread: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-ping-freenas-scale-host-or-vice-versa.88487/