TrueNas mount points question on VM

Agent86

Cadet
Hi,
This may not be a direct TrueNas question and may really be about VM.

I am new to TrueNas and never knew it has so many various features. :grin:

I'm looking at purchasing a TrueNas Mini and wanted to experiment with the software some to see how it works.
I may not have great equipment for testing but this is what I have.

Dell Poweredge T410 with Dual Xeon E5520 quad core and 32GB ram. 3) 3tb drives setup as raid 5 "hardware raid"
I downloaded and installed into a VM. and using virt-manager.
Install and network bridge setup flawlessly and I'm at the web/browser interface.

I read through the documents to setup a pool and subsequent "Windows Share(SMB).

"Disk" shows the VM physical disk volume created but the "pool" does not.
Is this due to VM or would I expect to do something else even for a TrueNas direct install ?

Please advise thanks.

P.S
I assume this web interface is the same for the TrueNas purchased products ?
thanks

Agent86

Cadet
Oops forgot to ad image
Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (38).png

Agent86

Cadet
Waiting for moderator to approve those pics, but from reading a lot it looks like TrueNas does not like my H700 Perc Hardware raid controller from what I can tell.

I don't know if this is why I can't see any available drive to create the pool, but it would seem this might also be the case for a direct install and not on VM.

At least from what I can tell.

I may have to try this on a PC to see how things work or just buy a "Mini" and see how it works from there.

Just wanted to experiment a little with shares and maybe Plex to see how things work.

Anyhow, I look forward to any response and will start window shopping a bit.
Thanks

Agent86

Cadet
Sooo..... After some more research about HBA's It seems the Poweredge T410 could do it if I used the H220 HBA controller that is built on then that might work.
Back to the drawingboard.

Probably end up just buying the new Mini but wanted to play with the software a little first just to test drive it.

Agent86

Cadet
Well, actually my only options is to get a H200 or SAS 6/iR HBA or just go get my new Mini and try it from there. thanks for the reply and this does explain everything exactly.