Disk configuration for local lab on VM on MAC

georgelza

Patron
Hi guys

so I'm doing the test it out on my MAC as building a local VM.
As my current have 1 x 128GB M.2 for cache and then 5 x 4TB Ironwolf HDD's I figure build a TrueNAS environment with 1 x 500MB HDD and 5 x 2GB HDD's.
but seems it does not like it.

As this is on my laptop, disk space is "limited",

What would be the best configuration for the above physical media available that I can then replicate in my VM also to see how works.

(I'd like to deploy my Unify Controller docker image on this VM and import the backup file and see it work), similar the new big workload is the PLEX media server so want to see whats involved in deploying that.

G

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Pool design will depend on your IOPS, capacity and redundancy requirements, so understanding what you need in the end might be a better approach than just using what you have, but to help out with the test setup:

TrueNAS will create a 2GB swap partition on all data drives by default, so starting with a 2GB drive basis will not get you far unless you go into the settings and change that default... I don't have my SCALE VM running right now, so can't confirm where it is under that, but it's under System | Advanced in CORE.

Either find that setting or go with drives 2GB bigger than you planned.

georgelza

Patron
so for Pool design, as a final state, I'm redeploying on my current NAS.
That has 5 x 4TB and 1 x 128GB M.2
Usage is pretty much a family photo/video/mp3 store and then disk store for my Plex Media server.

As far as the VM lab, looks like easier might be to go for 5 x 3TB HDD's (mimicking the HDD's) and then 1 x 2.5TB (representing the M.2) device.

G