Windows SMB permissions all screwed up after upgrade to 13

RonRN18

Dabbler
I fully admit that I do not fully comprehend SMB sharing permissions. It has just worked until my latest update. I just updated from 12.0-U6 (I believe that was the release) to 13.0 today. Unfortunately, now my SMB sharing is all screwed up and I can not access files properly from other machines. The files are all there, I just can't access them. I have searched for help, but I just was not understanding what people were talking about when discussing ACLs. I started messing with ACL settings and probably screwed things up much worse. Can someone point me in the direction to help understand ACL settings for someone with essentially no knowledge of ACLs?

Jessep

Patron
Are you certain you were on 12.0 and not 11.x prior to update?

RonRN18

Dabbler
Are you certain you were on 12.0 and not 11.x prior to update?
Yes, I am absolutely positive I was on Release 12.0 but I was one U number behind when upgrading. I tend to procrastinate a bit when I upgrade the NAS because there are frequently hiccups each time and often have to reboot from a boot up hang. I “bit the bullet” this morning. I could have upgraded with 12 once but decided to go for 13.

Another bizarre issue is some jails would bork the network and lock everything up. After several reboots and manual jail starts, I worked out those issues but still having permission issues with Samba and Windows. Oddly, Linux doesn’t have quite the problems with Samba than Windows 10/11 have.

wkn

Dabbler
Having similar issues since update from 12.8-U1 to 13.0-RC and for me it is not solved in 13-RELEASE.

New files/folders written in Windows 10 with the NAS SNB share owner account are no longer full access from other Windows 10 PC with same login.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Having similar issues since update from 12.8-U1 to 13.0-RC and for me it is not solved in 13-RELEASE.

New files/folders written in Windows 10 with the NAS SNB share owner account are no longer full access from other Windows 10 PC with same login.

Can you send me a debug please System->Advanced->Save Debug.

wkn

Dabbler
@anodos

Tried to take out the options to produce the error for a dump. What should i say, i created a folder and a file in a share from Windows 10 File explorer an now it works.

I only get this message when going to Preferences / Security for that file:
1652559584588.png

Bot after OK, the rights for admin looks OK.
1652559685270.png

I think, there is some issue with the rights for Everyone:
1652559785677.png

When click on edit, i get this window:
1652559889671.png

When i click on Reorder, the rights for Everyone changes an all seems OK afterwards.
1652560019981.png

Sorry for Hardcopies in German language, hope you can get informations from it however.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
I have similar problems. I upgraded from 11 to 12 though and haven't gone to 13 yet. I read through threads about ACLs and am lost just like the original poster. I can now see my server in network discovery on my windows machine through Samba shares but it gives me the following error when I try to access the share:
1653171460298.png
I am not sure how to go about editing ACLs. I think I have to set up a new user and not give it root access but I don't know how to make it so that windows gives me a login screen when I try to access my data so that I can sign in using the new username and password for my new non-root user. Does anyone have some better threads that can help me work my way through this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Arvi LEFEVRE

Dabbler
Hi, I seem to have an issue with permissions as well after upgrading to 13 U1...
All the recent premiere pro files can't be accessed, or even copied. If I check permissions, it all looks fine, but there is nothing I can do (same with shadow backups)
If I download a backblaze backup it works fine, or auto save too, this is really weird. It could be a premiere issue, as I can open other file, or even after effect projects, but this just happened after I upgraded last night.