Share permissions problems after upgrade from 8.3.1 FreeNAS to TrueNAS CORE 12.0 U8

dvpatel

Dabbler
I have had an old N40L chugging along with FreeNAS 8.3.1 which in the past two years, due to the Windows 10 upgrades and disablement of SMB v1 was largely powered off.

It used to be a simple USB thumb drive running FreeNAS 8.3.1 and 3x4TB shucked Seagate drives running in a RAID Z1.

Single SMB mount called storage. No fancy user setup and no permissions set at all. Did the config back in 2011 or 2012 and used to power on, backup files and power off. Very low use on the machine/drives.

Finally, got off my lazy butt and upgraded. The following was done:
  • Detached the pool and powered off
  • Removed the thumb drive and the storage drives
  • Installed a 120GB SSD and installed the TrueNAS Core version 12.0 U7
  • Booted up and immediately upgraded to U8 as by the time I burned the USB stick with the s/w and now, its been 4 - 6 weeks and there is a new version out U8 already.
  • Once the TrueNAS Core was installed properly and up and running, crated a user and group
  • Powered off, installed the drives and booted back into the system
  • Imported the pool and my pool along with my SMB Share showed up just fine.
  • But, as expected, I am getting permission error(s) to write. I can read all day long.

I have been pouring over threads on the permission reset but they are a bit old and involve Linux/Unix/NFS etc. I have narrowed down to the following two threads.

I see that the /mnt/storage and the directories in the share are owned by root:wheel.

Is this a simple case of doing the following?
Just replace www:wheel with user1:user1 in my case?

Thank you in advance and apologies for the rather long post.