Why does Amazon even do these "bundles"?

I challenge anyone to come up with a reasonable justification for this "bundle" on Amazon.

wd-elements-and-bandaid-bundle.png

I really don't get why certain things are bundled together, especially when they're not less expensive than buying them separately, and even more so when it doesn't make any sense. I can understand a USB Type-A to Type-C adapter bundled with a Western Digital Elements external drive,... but this?

Oh, okay, okay, okay, I get it. There's a risk of cutting your fingers when trying to shuck the drive within. :tongue:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Oh, okay, okay, okay, I get it. There's a risk of cutting your fingers when trying to shuck the drive within. :tongue:

I came in here to make this joke when I saw the thread preview.

Redcoat

MVP
Someone at Amazon read Greco's How-To and saw opportunity!

Etorix

Wizard
I'd say that Artificial Intelligence is trying hard to catch up with Human Stupidity.
Probably still a long way to go…

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I challenge anyone to come up with a reasonable justification for this "bundle" on Amazon.

You buy the drive. You load all your precious media, pictures, and data on it. Being a nonredundant external drive, it is nice and toasty, so the cat comes over and snuggles up with it, knocking it over, making it even more warm and toasty. Eventually someone sets something else on top of it, desk space being at a premium, and it cooks its way to an early death, occasionally with a cat-blanket enjoying its warmth.

Drive dies, and you realize all your valuable data is now gone. You start beating your head against the nearest brick wall. In order to stop the bleeding, you need about a hundred band-aids...

So I think that's reasonable. What prize do I win?

You buy the drive. You load all your precious media, pictures, and data on it. Being a nonredundant external drive, it is nice and toasty, so the cat comes over and snuggles up with it, knocking it over, making it even more warm and toasty. Eventually someone sets something else on top of it, desk space being at a premium, and it cooks its way to an early death, occasionally with a cat-blanket enjoying its warmth.
This reads like something you have all-too-familiar experience with. :oops: I'm sorry for the loss of your drive and sanity.

What prize do I win?

Another complementary box of bandages, and of course a lifetime supply of catnip to keep your feline friend preoccupied and distracted from a safe distance. Your non-redundant storage will never lose your irreplaceable data ever again.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This reads like something you have all-too-familiar experience with. :oops: I'm sorry for the loss of your drive and sanity.

Not personally, no. I'm just imaginative and have seen the mistakes others make. :smile: