This is what counts as packaging these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So I just found out what the "Q" actually means. Not an easy find, that's for sure. So "Q" stands for the memory buffer as previously identified but it's more so how the memory buffer work that is key. There are sever letters E, F, R, and Q. E of course being the first letter in the group, followed by F, then our Q, and finally R. It's actually funny because Q was also the short name for the character in the James Bond. Anyone know what that stood for? Good for you, yes Quartermaster. Do you know what a quartermaster does? Well Samsung did something quite interesting with these letter, or should I say how they were created. Apparently someone had too much time on their hands, just like me when I'm at a Toyota Service Center waiting on my oil to be changed, like right now. So normally I'd change my own oil but the cost was too good to pass up, "FREE". Nope, this has absolutely nothing to do with the letter Q, I think someone is messing with me because only those other 4 letters make any sense to me, E, F, and R, just like the cost of my oil change. So now that I'm done rambling on, the truck is done and it's time to leave the dealership and go spend some money on my day off work. Remember, Valentines Day is right around the corner for those of you how are expected to participate in it. And never get a woman a funny card where it looks like you are sitting on a couch and she's slaving away. You will find yourself in the Dog House or if you've been there before Dog House.

If anyone comes up with a non-smartass answer to the question, please post it. I may do something useful with it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Ericloewe I got my Supermicro MB today and during my inspection of the board I found on the backside there to be many glossy and sticky areas, primarily near solder points where are not surface mounts. It looks like there was a mask on the board covering all areas where SMT parts were located and just left the through board components open for soldering. The material appears to be flux. I'm curious if yours has the same issue? I will get some good alcohol to clean up the mess because sticky stuff collects dust and dust can short out electronic circuits. The rest of the board looks fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@Ericloewe I got my Supermicro MB today and during my inspection of the board I found on the backside there to be many glossy and sticky areas, primarily near solder points where are not surface mounts. It looks like there was a mask on the board covering all areas where SMT parts were located and just left the through board components open for soldering. The material appears to be flux. I'm curious if yours has the same issue? I will get some good alcohol to clean up the mess because sticky stuff collects dust and dust can short out electronic circuits. The rest of the board looks fine.
Yeah, I just installed it in the chassis. I hadn't opened the static shield bag yet, so I hadn't done the proper visual inspection yet.

Once I did, my first thought was "woah, did they just coat the whole board with flux?". Not really going to clean it, since I'd probably break something trying to do so (mechanically or ESD).

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is sloppy work, poor QA. I thought Supermicro was a better company but I guess not, in fact this is the only motherboard I've ever had with this issue. If I can't find some good alcohol in the department stores (97% or better), I'll just grab some from work. We have 100%, no water at all. If you do end up cleaning it, don't use rubbing alcohol unless you really dry the board off. I'll use Q-tips, lots of them and take my time. Normally at work I'd use an acid brush (a short camel bristled 3/8" wide paint looking brush with short stiff bristles). I'm still waiting on the CPU and RAM to arrive on Monday before I can do anything anyway. I think I'll write Supermicro a letter/email complaining about the quality control. I have no intention to replace the board unless it fails but they should know that the flux should have been all cleaned off as it's an electrical issue because of dust accumulation and can promote wiskering.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
That is sloppy work, poor QA. I thought Supermicro was a better company but I guess not, in fact this is the only motherboard I've ever had with this issue. If I can't find some good alcohol in the department stores (97% or better), I'll just grab some from work. We have 100%, no water at all. If you do end up cleaning it, don't use rubbing alcohol unless you really dry the board off. I'll use Q-tips, lots of them and take my time. Normally at work I'd use an acid brush (a short camel bristled 3/8" wide paint looking brush with short stiff bristles). I'm still waiting on the CPU and RAM to arrive on Monday before I can do anything anyway. I think I'll write Supermicro a letter/email complaining about the quality control. I have no intention to replace the board unless it fails but they should know that the flux should have been all cleaned off as it's an electrical issue because of dust accumulation and can promote wiskering.

A toothbrush is pretty good for this too and is easy to find ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I tried to take some photos last night but it was difficult to show the shiny parts against the flash. I'll try again when I have some good sunlight before I clean it up but as I indicated, it appears there was a mask applied and then maybe it went through a solder bath, but the excess flux never got removed. So I'll try a few more photos later today and if anything comes out, I'll post them.
A toothbrush is pretty good for this too and is easy to find ;)
Great idea, I have many of those.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The board was already in the chassis by the time I replied, but I do have some pictures. I'll see if any of them show it.

Good news is that the RAM seems to be working so far.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, I found one that illustrates this:
IMG_2251.JPG

It's most visible in the transition from the socket area to the DIMM area (with the through-hole DIMM slots).

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is a good photo and imagine that is around all through connectors, so any wire that sticks out of the bottom of the MB has that crap and like I said, it's sticky so I suspect it's flux.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Still not clear to me that that's actually flux, but it seems the best bet. A lot of manufacturing of PCB's has migrated to no-clean style fluxes, especially with RoHS, and the result shouldn't be sticky. But it's certainly possible that this is a traditional flux and that something went awry with the cleaning process. For about $20 you could get some MG 4140 and give that a shot, it should be very safe on the underside of a board.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What caught my attention was my fingers were sticking the the bottom of the board when I was inspecting the top side, so I flipped it over and that is what I saw.

I could use WD40, right?

SmallGuy

Guru
I could use WD40, right?
You're better to keep it as it is than use some random cleaner, like the one you mention. The risk is more for the components (plastic case) than the pcb itself.
Isopropanol alcohol is generally use but you need to know for sure what kind of flux has been used to choice the correct cleaner.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
You mean MAF or Brake Cleaner wouldn't be a good choice either? I have a can for white lithium grease I could spray on so the electronic will have a slippery surface to ride on and just go faster.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean MAF or Brake Cleaner wouldn't be a good choice either? I have a can for white lithium grease I could spray on so the electronic will have a slippery surface to ride on and just go faster.
Might as well try bleach. :D

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Acetone is a good one too... :D

joeschmuck

Old Man
I sincerely hope everyone knows I do use Silly Putty on that board because it makes a perfect image of it. Okay, I use Technical Alcohol which is 100% isopropyl alcohol, 0% water. I don't have any at home, it's at work, comes in a brown glass bottle. This stuff it fantastic and leaves no residue at all. We use it for everything, and use to use it to clean hard drive platters in the Iron Oxide days, but those days are gone.

hyperq

Dabbler
I use scotch tape or masking tape to remove sticky residues from stickers, always with great results. Just dab at the dirty spot enough times. But I don't know whether this method will work on the sticky stuff on your PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.