This is what counts as packaging these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I couldn't wait, I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush and Q-tips. I got most of the stuff off. If you scrub (gently) long enough you can get the board to look like the top side where it's just a nice clean shiny (not sticky) surface. I scrubbed enough to get the sticky part removed and stopped there. Now the bottom of the board looks all dull but at least it's fairly even and not sticky to the touch.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What caught my attention was my fingers were sticking the the bottom of the board when I was inspecting the top side, so I flipped it over and that is what I saw.

I could use WD40, right?

Why would your fingers be touching the bottom of the board?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What, like nobody else here caresses/fondles their new computer parts? :p
This is why no one buys any used parts from @cyberjock; some of his computer parts more resemble a glazed doughnut than electronics.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why would your fingers be touching the bottom of the board?
At the very least, to remove it from the static shield bag.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So after being in touch with Supermicro support, they have said that the bottom of the board should be nice and clean, you know, they way they are normally. So I pushed back and said they has a quality control issue and indicated that I was not the only person with a board having the problem. They have pushed it up to the QA department. So I've cleaned my board, I'd really like to use MAF cleaner to take a just spray the crap off of it and have a nice clean board but I'll need to investigate that a little. I honestly don't think MAF cleaner will be an issue since there are no capacitors on the bottom of the board and this stuff evaporates very quickly, and it's safe on a MAF sensor which is very sensitive.

My RAM testing is about done for today, I want to play around with IPMI since it's kicking my rear.

P.S. I like to check out my hardware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So after being in touch with Supermicro support, they have said that the bottom of the board should be nice and clean, you know, they way they are normally. So I pushed back and said they has a quality control issue and indicated that I was not the only person with a board having the problem. They have pushed it up to the QA department. So I've cleaned my board, I'd really like to use MAF cleaner to take a just spray the crap off of it and have a nice clean board but I'll need to investigate that a little. I honestly don't think MAF cleaner will be an issue since there are no capacitors on the bottom of the board and this stuff evaporates very quickly, and it's safe on a MAF sensor which is very sensitive.

My RAM testing is about done for today, I want to play around with IPMI since it's kicking my rear.

P.S. I like to check out my hardware.
Keep us posted, I'd like to hear what they have to say. If they ask for details on these other people, PM me and I'll be glad to help.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

jgreco

Resident Grinch
At the very least, to remove it from the static shield bag.

That's real ESD compliant. Handle boards by their edges. Preferably using ESD gloves. While grounded.

I swear, some days the things I read here make my toes go all curly.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I just sit at my favorite computer chair with the cloth seat and arm resets, which sits on the shag carpet, and I'm at my dining room table since I need some space. I place the motherboard on the table (still in the ESD bag) and the cat walks up to me and rubs against my leg and I pet him a few times ensuring I zap the cat's ears a few times. Then I carefully remove the motherboard from the ESD bag and sit it on top of a dish towel. If the lights are out you can see a quick blue light come from the bottom of the motherboard, it's cool! Then I inspect the top and bottom surfaces for manufacturing or shipping damage.

Next it's off to install it into the case so i grab the board, walk across the carpet and sit down on the floor next to my case. When I touch the case I hear a loud "CRACK!" as I dissipate the static electricity. Of course some times I hear that crack noise when i put the motherboard into the case. Once I jumped and dropped the board, but it was all good. Then you get in there and tighten those screws down good so they don't fall out. It's like my gas cap of my truck, when you hear the click, click, click, then it's tight enough, but for a motherboard it's the tenderly generating stress fractures which will hold the screws nice and tight.

In reality, I do take appropriate ESD precautions but I do know some folks who could care less and just take their chances.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just sit at my favorite computer chair with the cloth seat and arm resets, which sits on the shag carpet, and I'm at my dining room table since I need some space. I place the motherboard on the table (still in the ESD bag) and the cat walks up to me and rubs against my leg and I pet him a few times ensuring I zap the cat's ears a few times. Then I carefully remove the motherboard from the ESD bag and sit it on top of a dish towel. If the lights are out you can see a quick blue light come from the bottom of the motherboard, it's cool! Then I inspect the top and bottom surfaces for manufacturing or shipping damage.

Next it's off to install it into the case so i grab the board, walk across the carpet and sit down on the floor next to my case. When I touch the case I hear a loud "CRACK!" as I dissipate the static electricity. Of course some times I hear that crack noise when i put the motherboard into the case. Once I jumped and dropped the board, but it was all good. Then you get in there and tighten those screws down good so they don't fall out. It's like my gas cap of my truck, when you hear the click, click, click, then it's tight enough, but for a motherboard it's the tenderly generating stress fractures which will hold the screws nice and tight.

In reality, I do take appropriate ESD precautions but I do know some folks who could care less and just take their chances.
I just use some alligator clip cables to connect my magnetic therapy rings and wristbands to the computer chassis before handling components.

Seriously though, I was watching someone putting together a computer once and saw a nice blue spark and heard a crack as he was installing the motherboard. I thought "this will not end well", but the computer posted and he carried on.

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Assembled boards are far less sensitive to ESD than bare components.

Personally I just touch the metal case before I touch anything inside a computer to be at the same potential and I never had any problem.

However when I do sensitive electronics with bare components it's on an anti-ESD grounded mat and with a grounding wristband.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Personally I just touch the metal case before I touch anything inside a computer to be at the same potential and I never had any problem.
In the Navy we called this "Touch a nut".

Linkman

Patron

That's what I've always done as well, touch the case, and the PS case, before doing any work. Haven't messed with bare components since I was replacing 8250 chips in my Amiga that the lightning killed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I used to just occasionally discharge to the chassis, but I started using an anti-static wrist strap when I built my first FreeNAS server.

That's real ESD compliant. Handle boards by their edges. Preferably using ESD gloves. While grounded.

I swear, some days the things I read here make my toes go all curly.
I was grounded, if it makes you feel better. Wrist strap to PSU screw, with the power off and the IEC 60320 C13 cable plugged in.

I should get a proper ESD mat, though. Not really to protect the hardware, but I do need a larger thing protecting my desk from damage caused by the heavy chassis that inevitably end up on top of it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Seriously though, I was watching someone putting together a computer once and saw a nice blue spark and heard a crack as he was installing the motherboard. I thought "this will not end well", but the computer posted and he carried on.

I actually totally believe that. The amount of ESD resistance modern components exhibit is remarkable, but the flip side is that ESD is an insidious thing, and damage can be relatively obscure. Once zapped, it is very hard to know with certainty that the gear is truly reliable anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.