Which of these caused the performance increase?

James Mason

Dabbler
Hi all

I'm going to post a few updates soon regarding some 10gig upgrades that I have recently made in the hope that others can learn from what I did and how it went.

My question is regarding a couple of changes that I made at the same time (I’m sorry, I know this isn’t the way to do it).

After reading the excellent 10gig primer I purchased a Dell 5524 switch with 2 SFP+ ports originally intending to use one for the TrueNAS box and one for my main client, which is a Windows 10 machine. I have Intel X520 cards in both but I decided to connect the client directly to one of the SFP+ ports on the TrueNAS system so that I had a spare SFP+ port on the switch for testing and general messing about with.

I also switched from a DAC cable to SR optical when I changed from going through the switch to direct client to NAS.

For testing I copied a 3GB file from the NAS to my Patriot P300 NVMe drive and I was getting around 600MB per second when I copied it the second time (presumably because it was cached in RAM by the second time). This was the same as I got when going through the Dell switch. I decided to set both interfaces (W10 and NAS) from default to 9000 MTU and this went to about 700MB.

My first question is does that sound like an expected outcome?

Secondly I noticed when opening a folder that is stored on the NAS that has around 25000 files in it, Windows showed the folder contents and sorted them by name so much faster than before. It now also feels generally very snappy when navigating between folders over the network.

Does anyone have any idea which change caused this? - or which almost certainly had nothing to do with it?

1 - Change from default to 9000 MTU
2 - Change from DAC to SR optical
3 - Change from NAS>Switch>Client to NAS>Client
4 - Something else?

Thanks in advance for your input. I intend to write up a very detailed description of what I have changed to go from GbE to 10GbE and it has gone really well for a small cost so hopefully it should help a few people.

Cheers, James.