Incredibly strange transfer performance...

adamoconnor

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm having some incredibly difficult times working with my TrueNAS box (specifically, networking), that I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on for me.

My bare-metal as follows:
Dell R720 w/ 2x Xeon E5-2697v2 processors
224GB DDR3 10600R
8x 1.2TB 10k Drives in Z2
Realtek 4xGbE Daughter Board
Mellanox Connect-X2 10GB NIC

I am running TrueNAS inside of Proxmox VE. I have passed through my Mellanox and PERC H710 (IT Flash) directly to my TrueNAS VM. So far only one other VM is running on this server which is an Ubuntu VM running a HomeAssistant instance. The Ubuntu VM is using a ProxMox virtual NIC which is 3x of the on-board Realtek ports on an LACP to my MikroTik switch.

My network setup is as follows:

TrueNAS -> MikroTik 1g4S+ Switch via DAC -> MikroTik 24G2S+ Switch also via DAC -> Windows PC on 1G port

At a high level, my TrueNAS setup has access to 16 threads and 96GB of RAM, so it should be enough for what I'm doing with it. For now, anyways.

So, finally, to the problem.

I am suddenly experiencing incredibly slow transfer speeds to my TrueNAS box from one computer only, which happens to be my main computer running Windows 10. My only other computer I can use to test is my MacBook Pro 14", which is connected to a UniFi AP6-Lite, yielding roughly 250Mbps nominally.

Up until today, with no known changes to my PC or NAS, my transfer speeds are something like 1.2MBPS. Not GB, MB. It's PAINFUL how slow it is. Before, I was getting roughly 95MBPS, which was close enough for me considering my 1GB link was effectively saturated accounting for windows SMB overhead. I tried a transfer from my MBP also on SMB, and am filling my ~250MBPS link up nicely, so the NAS is definitely capable still.

To troubleshoot this, I ran some iperf checks on everything I could that's on my network.

On my windows machine, I did the following:
iperf3 to my TrueNAS: 500kb to 1.5Mb per second
iperf3 to my PFSense Router (virtualized on a Dell R620): 947 Mb/s
iperf3 to my Unifi Controller (same R620): 947Mb/s
iperf3 to my HomeAssistant (On the R720): 947 Mb/s

On my MacBook, I did the following:
iperf3 to my TrueNAS: 240-250 Mb/s
iperf3 to my PFSense Router (virtualized on a Dell R620): 240-250 Mb/s
iperf3 to my Windows machine: 240-250 Mb/s
iperf3 to my HomeAssistant (On the R720): 240-250 Mb/s

On the TrueNAS machine, I did the following:
iperf3 to my PFSense Router (virtualized on a Dell R620): 3.5Gb/s
iperf3 to my Windows machine: 500kb to 1.5Mb per second
iperf3 to my HomeAssistant (On the R720): 947 Mb/s

My max of 3.5Gb/s I'm suspecting is a system performance limit, though I have no way of knowing that for sure, and frankly haven't gotten to the point of tuning my networking to take full advantage of the 10GB link.

Some other tests I did, just to make sure there wasn't a weird hardware issue was to:
Switch from the 1GBE port on my Windows PC to the 2.5GBE port
Change ports on my MikroTik 24-port switch
Put my Wireless AP on the 24-port switch in the same port I was using on the windows PC and verify I at least got the 250Mbps
Rebooted my computer, NAS, Router, Switches.... (figured I'd get the obvious out of the way first)
Enabled jumbo frames on the NAS and the Windows machine
Removed the Mellanox card and installed an X540-T2 just for good measure

I have searched everywhere and can't find anyone experiencing my same issue. Maybe I'm not searching the right terms? It seems obvious to me that it's a Windows issue, but I have no idea where else to look for help, so I figured one of you smart folks on here could help.

Thanks