Which are all FreeNAS Compatible NIC Ethernet card on PCI slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipi.pv

Cadet
Hi Support team,
I'm trying to implement FreeNAS OS in my network and after installing successfully i can able to login but some services are not running properly. In related to this bug i created a ticket #29022. In this they said that it is due to incompatible NIC, and they suggest me to check with other NIC. So could you please provide list of NIC Ethernet that support FreeNAS OS?

My motherboard model is - Asus H110M-D

Another machine is - Compaq SG3440IL
Prod # KT478AA#ACJ

Can you provide supporting NIC for above models?

Regards,
Vipin.PV

Attachments

• service_error.jpg
    service_error.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,318

asb2106

Dabbler
The Asus is a Realtek RTL8111H. I had endless problems with the realtek myself; switched to all Intel. Compaq, besides being really old (08) I'm sure is limited with a cheap nic and cheap everything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Intel NICs are the go-to recommendation for gigabit. But I question whether anything old enough to have PCI slots at all should even be used for FreeNAS.

Edit: OK, looked up that board. OP, that board doesn't have a PCI slot, so a NIC that fits in one would be a waste of your money. An Intel NIC, as I already said, would be a good choice--they're cheap, widely available, and they work well. But though it should work (for various values of "work"), it's a very poor choice of motherboard to build a server on.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm trying to implement FreeNAS OS in my network and after installing successfully i can able to login but some services are not running properly
What you have here is not a bug, it is unsupported hardware. You are trying to use desktop computer hardware to build a server without regard to the hardware recommendations.

Please review the following:

Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Also useful to know:

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

vipi.pv

Cadet
Hi Chris,
I'm just making a small FreeNAS storage in our network. Not a big server.
Small FreeNAS for a Few Users
  • Multicore 64-bit processor
  • 8 GB or larger boot drive
  • 8 GB RAM
  • One Ethernet network port
  • At least one hard disk for storage
So for this, which NIC is support FreeNAS OS to My motherboard model Asus H110M-D

Regards,
Vipin.PV

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

vipi.pv

Cadet
Hi Chris,

So you are saying that this above NIC "Intel EXPI9400PT Gigabit Copper Connection for Servers 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45" will support with my motherboard to run FreeNAS properly?

So shall I proceed to purchase this item?

Regards,
Vipin.PV

vipi.pv

Cadet
Hi Chris,

When I checked with Intel support team, they said that the product Intel EXPI9400PT is not available in the market right now. Can you please provide alternative for this?

Thanks,
Vipin.PV

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You are almost guaranteed that any Intel NIC will work, but that is by no means the only problem with that system board.

My suggestion would be to get an entirely different computer.
That is the direction you should be going.

If you want a server, buy an actual server. Why does everybody want to take a desktop computer and call it a server (or NAS) just because of the operating system they load on it. Hardware matters and what you have there is junk. I wouldn't even run windows on that.

ewhac

Contributor
If you just want to futz around to get a feel for FreeNAS and see if it might be right for your organization, then sure, spin it up on some cheap desktop HW and give it a try. However, don't expect such a machine to be reliable. Commodity hardware has an unfortunate habit of failing in, shall we say, creative ways; your little machine for futzing around will die eventually, and probably take all the data with it.

This sort of thing happens often enough that the denizens here tell newcomers, very loudly and often, that one should follow the hardware requirements when purchasing and assembling a new machine intended for reliable, ongoing data storage and access. These requirements do not come out of thin air, but are the results of hundreds of man-hours studying the debris from dozens of dead machines and irrevocably destroyed data pools.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi Chris,
I'm just making a small FreeNAS storage in our network. Not a big server.
Small FreeNAS for a Few Users
  • Multicore 64-bit processor
  • 8 GB or larger boot drive
  • 8 GB RAM
  • One Ethernet network port
  • At least one hard disk for storage
So for this, which NIC is support FreeNAS OS to My motherboard model Asus H110M-D

Regards,
Vipin.PV
If this is for a company, regardless on the size of the company, just ask yourself "How important is my data?" If your answer is that the data is important then I'd buy a server quality hardware. With that said, I don't see the motherboard you have as being an issue if you already have it and i'd give it a try, add the Intel NIC card and see how it works.

You also stated that you want "at least one hard drive for storage", well you may not fully grasp how ZFS works, one hard drive is failure waiting to happen. ZFS uses two or more drives, two drives = mirror, three drives could be a RAIDZ1 (allows a single drive failure and full data retention). Also you never mentioned drive capacity which is important.

What I see here is the definate possibility that you are headed down the wrong path and FreeNAS isn't going to be really for you. I suggest you take a look at @Chris Moore 's tag line references "Useful links" and read up on ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.