What's the best DNLA broadcast solution for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
What's the best DNLA broadcast solution for FreeNAS? Twonky? UPnP?

There used to be a plugin in previous versions <9.3 (UPnP) but seems it's not available now?

I just want certain directories to be visible on DLNA enabled devices eg - smart tv's without using perhaps plex.

Last edited:

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Anybody?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
plex also has a dlna server. I think it's currently the only alternative.

airflow

Contributor
I spent quite some time with DLNA and tested different options. I can tell you that Plex is an excellent solution for broadcasting, as long as Videos (Homemovies, Movies, Series) and Pictures are concerned. When it comes to music, though, Plex has its flaws and is not the best solution (e.g., genres are fucked up and searching the database is not possible). I want to use Minimserver (don't mix it up with MiniDLNA), which is optimized for handling and sorting music-metadata. The problem is that I didn't manage to run the software on FreeBSD yet, as it doesn't compile flawlessly there. At the moment I try to sort these problems out with help of the forum here:
http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=453
http://forum.openhome.org/showthread.php?tid=1320

Perhaps I will manage to make Minimserver run, then you will be able to use Minimserver for music broadcasting, which is much better than Plex...

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
OK I think I'll download plex and use the build in dlna functionality for the media devices that don't have a plex client.

I was just seeing online that there used to be a UPnP plugin, but it's not there on 9.3-release.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OK I think I'll download plex and use the build in dlna functionality for the media devices that don't have a plex client.

I was just seeing online that there used to be a UPnP plugin, but it's not there on 9.3-release.

It stopped working because the bug it relied on to work was fixed.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
It stopped working because the bug it relied on to work was fixed.

Will a similar straight DLNA/UPnP solution be available as a plugin again?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Will a similar straight DLNA/UPnP solution be available as a plugin again?
In time, it's very likely. Of course, someone will have to go through the trouble of fixing DLNA, which is volunteer work.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
In time, it's very likely. Of course, someone will have to go through the trouble of fixing DLNA, which is volunteer work.

I see, okay thank you. Well lets see what happens. Usually I don't need DLNA when I'm using TVMC anyways, which IMO is a far superior interface to Plex.

Last edited:

ewhac

Contributor
I'm using MiniDLNA 1.1.3. No, there's no plugin for it, but I just set up my own custom jail and used FreeBSD packages to install it. Works well enough with the Roku 3 I have in the living room.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Media Browser is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.