What is the best way to use lets-encrypt with TrueNAS Scale 21.04

AdamR01

Cadet
It's a bit odd though, he registered an account to comment this, but neglected to read 3 posts higher and notice it's severely bugged in 21.04 :')

Other folks are saying it is working for them in this thread.

silverback

Contributor
The Cloudflare TXT issue was fixed for me in todays nightly. Be sure to reboot if you get an error on the first try.

namnnumbr

Dabbler
I've followed the linked documentation to TrueCharts and have successfully created the LE cert on 22.02-RC.2, but when I select to use it in the web UI, the original locally-signed "freenas-default" cert is still used. I've tried manually restarting the web server with `service nginx restart` but it did not make a difference.

Is there any guidance on how to use the letsencrypt cert as the ssl cert for the web UI?

Edit: a full reboot resolved the issue, but it would be nice to be able to ensure that the system (especially storage shares) stay up while the webserver restarts to pick up the new/renewed cert.

Last edited:

behzad

Dabbler
Alright, progress!

This is more for the iX folks at this point:

Is there a good way to validate that cloudflare creds are working? I am using the API key as stated, have 1.1.1.1 for the dns and tried a reboot. It looks like it is not successfully creating the TXT record for the challenge.

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/acme_protocol_/issue_cert.py", line 101, in issue_certificate
    return acme_client.poll_and_finalize(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 710, in poll_and_finalize
    orderr = self.poll_authorizations(orderr, deadline)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 734, in poll_authorizations
    raise errors.ValidationError(failed)
acme.errors.ValidationError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 378, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 414, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1001, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 1584, in do_create
    data = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1005, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 1639, in __create_acme_certificate
    final_order = self.middleware.call_sync('acme.issue_certificate', job, 25, data, csr_data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1266, in call_sync
    return methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/acme_protocol_/issue_cert.py", line 117, in issue_certificate
    raise CallError(f'Certificate request for final order failed: {msg}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Certificate request for final order failed:
Authorization for identifier Identifier(typ=IdentifierType(dns), value='mydomain.com') failed.
Here are the challenges that were not fulfilled:
Challenge Type: dns-01

Error information:
- Type: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized
- Details: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.mydomain.com
i am still trying to make it run and i am stucking here, too.
I have a domain from google and followed this guide.
Just need a bit of help here please.

danb35

Hall of Famer

pommster

Cadet
I know this is an old thread, but this link results in a 404 not found.

Is this the new version of the documentation?

https://truecharts.org/docs/manual/guides/adding-letsencrypt/
What I don't get is having to use AWS or Cloudflare to host my DNS. Is there a way of using Letsencrypt without having to use these to host my DNS?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What I don't get is having to use AWS or Cloudflare to host my DNS.
That's because iX have chosen to only include those two in their UI. It's still better than in CORE, though, where it's AWS or nothing. Edit: The reason the DNS host matters in this context is that the Let's Encrypt integration wants to use DNS validation, which (practically) requires the ability to create and remove DNS records programmatically. This isn't the only way to get a cert, but it doesn't require that anything on your server be exposed to the Internet.
Is there a way of using Letsencrypt without having to use these to host my DNS?

With that said, my script isn't strictly necessary any more; acme.sh now includes a deploy script for TrueNAS. My script adds a few features that may be handy, but the basic deployment can be handled by acme.sh itself (more accurately, by a script that's packaged with it).

Last edited:

stavros-k

Patron
I know this is an old thread, but this link results in a 404 not found.

Is this the new version of the documentation?

What I don't get is having to use AWS or Cloudflare to host my DNS. Is there a way of using Letsencrypt without having to use these to host my DNS?
1. It's the same, just moved under other menu.
2. Cloudflare/Route53 is not used (only) for DNS. It's used mainly for Certificate DNS Challenge. Scale also supports custom (via shell script) cert renewal/DNS Challenge. But you have to write/find a script

Screenshot from 2022-12-17 13-23-05.png

danb35

Hall of Famer

pommster

Cadet
@danb35 @stavros-k Thanks for your replies. I don't mind moving my DNS hosting to Cloudflare, but the domain I wanted to use already has a website with a Letsencrypt certificate hosted elsewhere. Would moving the DNS to Cloudflare affect that?

pommster

Cadet
There's no reason that moving your DNS hosting to Cloudflare would need to affect your website.
Okay, I changed my DNS to Cloudflare. Went through pretty quickly. Set up cert in TrueNAS fine. But now noticed my website isn't working, giving a too many redirects error, so reverting name server back to how I had it until I have more time to look at this. It has gone midnight here.