What is the best way to use lets-encrypt with TrueNAS Scale 21.04

vega2004

Dabbler
There is at the moment no guide for a good way to use lets encrypt on TrueNAS Scale.
I want to access TrueNAS and the app/docker container via ssl
With own DNS and no own DNS.
Any hints whats the best way for 21.04?

Last edited:

Nate W

Dabbler

I followed these directions and it wasn't as clear as it could be. The only profiles available are OpenVPN Client and OpenVPN Server. I assume you want server? Also, what key usage config flags do we want? The defaults are as shown at the bottom.

When submitting, it throws this error for me:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 378, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 414, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1001, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 1589, in do_create
    data = await self.map_functions[create_type](job, data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 1676, in create_csr
    req, key = await self.middleware.call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1239, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1207, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1111, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1005, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 567, in generate_certificate_signing_request
    csr = self.add_extensions(csr, data.get('cert_extensions', {}), key, None)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 244, in add_extensions
    klass(*self.get_extension_params(extension, cert, issuer)),
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 265, in get_extension_params
    issuer.public_key() if issuer else cert._public_key
AttributeError: 'CertificateSigningRequestBuilder' object has no attribute '_public_key'

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.15.18 AM.png

ornias

Wizard
@Nate W I've no idea what you're doing, but you're clearly doing more than just follow the instructions.
The instructions asume all settings that are not meantioned are not touched. That whole screenshot isn't even available while following the instructions.

Nate W

Dabbler
@Nate W I've no idea what you're doing, but you're clearly doing more than just follow the instructions.
The instructions asume all settings that are not meantioned are not touched. That whole screenshot isn't even available while following the instructions.

I did follow the directions. I can screen cap if you really want it. Perhaps some assumptions are being made in the directions?

Reactions: ckd

Nate W

Dabbler
I figured out the disparity. In the directions, make sure to mention *no* profiles are selected:

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.53.02 AM.png

ornias

Wizard
I did follow the directions. I can screen cap if you really want it. Perhaps some assumptions are being made in the directions?
No, no assumptions are made.
Key config flags are not a part of the guide and the guide clearly states:
"If you are not sure, the defaults are alsmost always "alright", because most of what you enter here is completely ignored by Letsencrypt."

ornias

Wizard
To prevent more users finding "disparities", I've added the TODO screenshots to the guide.

Nate W

Dabbler
Alright, progress!

This is more for the iX folks at this point:

Is there a good way to validate that cloudflare creds are working? I am using the API key as stated, have 1.1.1.1 for the dns and tried a reboot. It looks like it is not successfully creating the TXT record for the challenge.

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/acme_protocol_/issue_cert.py", line 101, in issue_certificate
    return acme_client.poll_and_finalize(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 710, in poll_and_finalize
    orderr = self.poll_authorizations(orderr, deadline)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 734, in poll_authorizations
    raise errors.ValidationError(failed)
acme.errors.ValidationError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 378, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 414, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 1584, in do_create
    data = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1005, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 1639, in __create_acme_certificate
    final_order = self.middleware.call_sync('acme.issue_certificate', job, 25, data, csr_data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1266, in call_sync
    return methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/acme_protocol_/issue_cert.py", line 117, in issue_certificate
    raise CallError(f'Certificate request for final order failed: {msg}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Certificate request for final order failed:
Authorization for identifier Identifier(typ=IdentifierType(dns), value='mydomain.com') failed.
Here are the challenges that were not fulfilled:
Challenge Type: dns-01

Error information:
- Type: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized
- Details: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.mydomain.com

ornias

Wizard
Alright, progress!

This is more for the iX folks at this point:

Is there a good way to validate that cloudflare creds are working? I am using the API key as stated, have 1.1.1.1 for the dns and tried a reboot. It looks like it is not successfully creating the TXT record for the challenge.

This is a known issue currently, both iX and myself are working on finding out what precisely is the cause and i've send some improvements for the ACME middleware already. But more Debugs are definately welcome!

Assuming your credentials are right (like the others with this bug) you will find out that in fact the TXT record is correctly created but simply not detected.

It's not really iX's fault either. Certbot developer docs are complete and utter trash. Other implementations of certbot also had to do a lot of trail and error to fix small race conditions and weird failures like this one.

Nate W

Dabbler
I guess All of this can be in a bug report. Is github issues the best place?

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 11.17.13 AM.png

stavros-k

Patron
I guess All of this can be in a bug report. Is github issues the best place?

View attachment 46697

I already made a report for that, you can vote/watch it if you want.

Jira is the best (and only?) place to report bugs.
In github issues are not available anyway.

Also problems with truecharts, the best place would be in github discussions/issues (depending if its a bug or question) or the discord server.

stavros-k

Patron
I'm using cloudflare (with token) certs without problem in the latest nightly. (and for about 2 weeks already)

danb35

Hall of Famer

ornias

Wizard
Any containers/apps would need a different solution, though.
Actually: No not really.

If you use the iX made certificate selection system for Apps (like TrueCharts does), you directly consume what's put into the certificate system... Which could just as well be done by your script :)

AdamR01

Cadet
I have no idea if the API for SCALE supports the same endpoints that it does in CORE. If it does, my Let's Encrypt deployment script would handle the TrueNAS GUI:

Any containers/apps would need a different solution, though.

Registered just to say that your script was working out of the box with no modifications for me on 21.02. Looks like CloudFlare is native in 21.04 though so I will probably switch over to that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Looks like CloudFlare is native in 21.04 though so I will probably switch over to that.
I'd do the same--better to use the integrated solution if it does what you need it to.

ornias

Wizard
I'd do the same--better to use the integrated solution if it does what you need it to.
It's a bit odd though, he registered an account to comment this, but neglected to read 3 posts higher and notice it's severely bugged in 21.04 :')