What Hard Drives Do You Use In Your FreeNAS Box?

Which type of hard drive do you use (connection)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
I recently noticed WD released 6TB red drives upping their capacity aswell as WD Red Pros with extended warranties depending on intended use.. I just wanted to see what everybody is running right now and your specific drives have failed etc.. I want to run this with a series of polls but I'm not sure if this is possible with the current forum setup or with without multiple threads.. I'll compile the results and upload later..

Edit: I may use a polling site to allow for quicker / easier response.. If you feel anything should be added drop a comment below..

If I cant do it via polls (preferred in 1 thread) I will create a template to follow..

• SATA
  • SAS
  • PATA/IDE
  • USB Drive Setup
What is the capacity of your hdds? (aka if pool is made of 2tb drives choose 2tb)
  • 1TB or Under
  • 2TB
  • 3TB
  • 4TB or Greater
Is your drive intended for:
  • Standard Desktop Use (WD Blues / non-nas drives)
  • Standard NAS use (WD Reds / NAS intended drives)
  • Enterprise Grade Use (WD Raptors etc / Enterprise specd drives)
What is the model of your HDD?

Have you had any of these drives fail? If so how many and for what reason?

If applicable at what time did your drive fail?

Last edited:

Yatti420

Wizard
  • SATA
What is the capacity of your hdds? (aka if pool is made of 2tb drives choose 2tb)
  • 2TB
  • Standard Desktop Use (WD Blues / non-nas drives)

ST2000DM001

None so far..

camilo suarez

Explorer
  • SATA
  • 2TB
  • WD RED

• wd20efrx

None so far.. (1 month of use)

enemy85

Guru
  • SATA
  • 3TB
  • WD RED

• wd30efrx

None so far..

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can see mine in my signature. I have no intention to up the individual drive capacity unless I also reduce the number of hard drives in my system at the same time. Interesting that there is a 6TB Red drive now, I'll have to read about it. I could probably get away with a mirror of three drives for my uses.

Use: For my uses having 7TB of storage is more than enough to store weekly & monthly backups of my family computer systems, family photos, and a small amount of media. Getting to video movie content, I use to think that having all that media online and available would be cool to have and it is but to be honest, I would only watch a small handful of those movies more than three times and typically that was it, except for the videos that my kids would watch over and over and over. I have purchased two copies of Mulan because of wear, but now I don't even have to pull out the DVD.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm actually eyeballing the 6TB drives right now.. I have 10 in my newegg cart and I'm seriously considering hitting the "complete purchase" button! For me this would increase my pool size by about 30% and decrease the number of drives by 1/2. So a win-win for me.

panz

Guru
I'm planning this "replacement" scheme: when my first (main) pool of 6x3TB WD Reds will be full, I'm going to use the drives of the backup pool (another set of 6x3TB WD Reds) to build a new array of 12 drives.

2 conf are possible:

1) 12 drives = 1 Vdev, RAIDZ2;

2) 6 + 6 drives = 2 Vdevs, each Vdev RAIDZ2.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm actually eyeballing the 6TB drives right now.. I have 10 in my newegg cart and I'm seriously considering hitting the "complete purchase" button! For me this would increase my pool size by about 30% and decrease the number of drives by 1/2. So a win-win for me.

Oops. They are ordered! 48TB of disk space.. here I come!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hehe. That'll be a week or two from now, but I'll update this thread. After they arrive I have to do some testing to make sure I trust them before I'll actually use them.

camilo suarez

Explorer
Hehe. That'll be a week or two from now, but I'll update this thread. After they arrive I have to do some testing to make sure I trust them before I'll actually use them.

it would be nice to know how you test them prior to use them in production

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just like the How-To guide that jgreco wrote. ;)

Yatti420

Wizard
Performance for 5 and 6s should be similar.. The rest pros are suppose be faster 2-4tb..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Whattteva

Wizard
  • SATA
  • 3TB
  • Standard NAS use (WD Reds / NAS intended drives)
WDC WD30EFRX

No.

If applicable at what time did your drive fail?
N/A

joeschmuck

Old Man
Let me email you my home address before you click the complete purchase button.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just like the How-To guide that jgreco wrote. ;)
That guide has my home address in it and I test the drives for you. My testing consists of an End of Life test where I will test them to ensure they will last fro 3 years.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That guide has my home address in it and I test the drives for you. My testing consists of an End of Life test where I will test them to ensure they will last fro 3 years.

You are too kind. If they don't last do I get a refund?

adrianwi

Guru
  • SATA
  • 4TB (x4)
  • NAS

ST4000VN000

Not yet....

Z300M

Guru

SATA

2TB (x10)

Desktop

ST32000641AS (x5 at present)
ST2000DM001 (x5)

One of the original ST32000641AS drives (5-year warranty) failed after about a year (no longer recognized, failed all Seagate diagnostics) and was replaced under warranty by an ST2000DM001 with the remainder of the original drive's 5-yr warranty.
Of the other ST2000DM001 drives, one was bought as such ("bare" drive), while the others were bought as retail-packaged STBD2000101 kits; all have 2-yr warranties.

FWIW, the ST2000DM001 drives run a few degrees cooler than the others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.