What determines the default permissions of files within a CIFS share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tairabiteru

Cadet
Hello,

I've been trying to figure out what determines the default permissions of new files and folders within a CIFS share. I've got a machine running ubuntu which connects to my freenas box using information I specified in /etc/fstab, according to these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
I've set the line in fstab to be:
Code:
//192.168.1.5/caduceus  /media/caduceus  cifs  guest,uid=1001,iocharset=utf8  0  0

However, when I open that share on my ubuntu machine and create a folder, it succeeds in making the folder, but the default permissions specify that I don't own it. (User #1001 does) and I cannot put anything in the folder as a result.
What I want to do is set it up so that anyone who can access the NAS can have full read/write control. Essentially, so that even guests can do whatever they want. But I can't figure out what is setting those default permissions for the share. It doesn't matter what I change the code above to be, changing the uid and logging in with a different username does nothing. Any files I create will still be owned by User #1001.
Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

D

dlavigne

What are the permissions on the dataset being shared (from Storage -> Volumes -> _that_shared_dataset -> Change Permissions)?

tairabiteru

Cadet
Here's what I've got set:
NZvD52P.png

tairabiteru

Cadet
Alright, so I figured it out, and figured I might as well share so perhaps someone down the line will learn from my mistake:

I forgot to turn on Apply Default Permissions. I did so by going to Sharing -> Windows (CIFS), and then clicking on the share I made, and clicking edit. Then I just checked "Apply Default Permissions".

Status
Not open for further replies.