What changes to the BIOS does installing Truenas make?

jkim78

Cadet
Hi,

I just installed truenas, and then decided to go a different direction, so installed Debian instead.
However, during the installation of Debian, the system name defaulted to "truenas".
I then removed the drive altogether, got a new blank drive, and tried installing again.
At this point, there should remain nothing from truenas, but the system name defaulted to "truenas" again.

Does Truenas write some settings to BIOS?
If so, what are all of the BIOS settings Truenas changes when installing?
If not, then how can this phenomenon of the system name defaulting to "truenas" be explained?

Adrian

Contributor
At a guess, the TrueNAS registered a lease for your machine's MAC in your DHCP server with that name. Amend or remove the lease. The DHCP server is most likely to be your router.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Does Truenas write some settings to BIOS?
No.
If not, then how can this phenomenon of the system name defaulting to "truenas" be explained?
With the concept of DHCP lease as suggested by @Adrian

If the lease hadn't reached over 50% of its lifetime (can be days) then the DHCP server will see the same MAC address as the same client and "remind" it of the same configuration it was already given, which still references the IP that exists in mdns or your router's local dns, which debian looks up and shows you.

jkim78

Cadet
Thanks, found an entry in my router with name truenas and the MAC address, so perhaps it is what you guys suggest. No idea how to get rid of this entry on my router, so will have to let it lapse (13 days 23 hrs) naturally.

Adrian

Contributor
You will need to keep the machine off for a fortnight for the lease to fully expire. You may find that it you can edit or delete it sooner than that though.
Looking / asking for advice elsewhere about DHCP settings for your router might help.
Also, consider setting up a fixed DHCP address more memorable than the random dynamic address you currently have. This can sometimes be a life saver.
Good luck!