Web interface only accessible with localhost

Hi all,

I am in the progress of transferring my server from a simple debian setup to truenas core. In the process I was able to access the web interface. However, I reformatted the boot disk due to some other issues and now truenas says that the webinterface is only available for localhost (0.0.0.0); i cannot find this problem online really. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Ifconfig lists
- alc0
- lo0
- pflog0

I am running it on an z170 motherboard
Thanks in advance!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Avoid gaming motherboards for TrueNAS, especially those using the Atheros Killer NIC.
  • TrueNAS is very intolerant of overclocking, so you'll need to disable all default overclocks, including RAM XMP profiles
  • The packaged alc driver for Atheros barely works. Disable the Killer NIC in BIOS, and get an Intel Pro/1000 instead, which is rock-solid stable.

Hi Samuel,

Not sure why overclocks or XMP should impact network interface detection. Could you elaborate on this?
The packaged LAN controller is an Realtek RTL8111LH, is this not supported by TrueNas? It worked well running any other linux distro.
Sincerely,
GT

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

TrueNAS Core is not your run of the mill Linux distro. It's based on FreeBSD, which is a completely different kernel from Linux. If you want something closer to Debian, you should run TrueNAS Scale, which is a fork of Debian.

Davvo

MVP
If you want something closer to Debian, you should run TrueNAS Scale, which is a fork of Debian.
Realtek NICs are totally not guaranteed to work with SCALE too.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I see. Just installed Scale and it assigned an ip immediately. Thanks for the help.
"It picked up an IP" is quite some distance from "it works reliably and performs well under a wide range of conditions." That Realtek chip is well known to be crap. It will likely "work," for a loose enough definition of "work," but it really isn't a decent interface chip for a desktop, much less for a server. The $30 on an Intel NIC will be money well spent.

"It picked up an IP" is quite some distance from "it works reliably and performs well under a wide range of conditions." That Realtek chip is well known to be crap. It will likely "work," for a loose enough definition of "work," but it really isn't a decent interface chip for a desktop, much less for a server. The $30 on an Intel NIC will be money well spent.
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the concerns. I will keep an eye out on the NIC. The remaining parts of my network also needs some TLC. What makes you say that these Realtek chips are having performance problems? I would like to keep my eye out on these and upgrade if I run into major issues. Thanks in advance!

Davvo

MVP
Thank for the resource. I see indeed that for server ends these Realtek devices end up cutting short. Luckily for me I am not running a high-end outwardsfacing device. My NAS just needs to hold some data for a few users. I will see how succesfull the current setup will be. It is already a huge legup than what I was using before.