Web interface always crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I installed 8.0.2. It did it flawlessly. However, after sitting at idle, I then connect to the web interface on another computer to go thru inital setup, and either it crashes when I hit enter, or after I get logged in. A message comes up on the system that it is out of swap, and the process has been terminated. I checked my drive space, a little less than 1gb left on my boot drive. Is there any way to increase the swap partition? The installer did not give me an option to do so, which was odd.

The machine's specs are a little low end, and from what I have heard this would be better suited for 0.7.2, but I tried that, and that one gives me a page fault error when I boot from the CD-ROM.

Specs are as follows:

-DMP Ebox 2300mx fanless embedded computer
-200mhz i386 SOC
-128mb of RAM
-2gb boot drive (compact flash)
-integrated video, ethernet, 3 USB, audio in, audio out, PS/2.

I went in the BIOS, and made sure to set the VRAM for the smallest size possible (4mb, was using 8mb), as I will run this headless anyway. However, that did not help.

I have been looking at some of the newer eboxen, they are quite nice. Faster, smaller, less energy, more RAM, and USB 2.0. Might just have to spring for the 3350mx-ap.

However, I want to squeeze what I can out of the existing hardware, and upgrade as needed.

Any help in getting this beast working would be helpful. There must be some unnessicary process running somewhere sucking down what little RAM it has. I just need it for AFP and SMB services for less than 5 computers, and a max of 1-2 utilizing it at once.

The exact message I get is as follows:

Code:
(Date) (time) freenas kernel: pid 1619 (python), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

Thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
The machine's specs are a little low end,

That's an understatement, there are probably calculators that are better suited to run FreeNAS. The only thing that is going to help you is more RAM, not swap. FreeNAS uses about 85MB of your 128, so there isn't much left.... :rolleyes:

Its not surprising .72 page faults too.

Sorry

yeah, I figured as much. Could have sworn I read .72 runs in 128 just fine. On the plus side, the machine draws just 8 watts. I do like what I see from the web interface, this is a nice distro.

Too bad I can't upgrade the RAM in it. Time to start looking at a newer model.

ok, making progress here.

I tried 8.0.1, same thing. Then, I went to 8.0, and it gets me much further. I can login to the web console, and made some changes. All that worked, but I went to start configuring services. I pulled up AFP, made my changes, and for some reason it would not enable. I tried configuring SSH, and that is where I got the message on the console that the process crashed.

I don't get it, reviews I have seen of freenas say it will run on 128mb, and it works fine in virtualbox, I even connect the compact flash card in the VM to do the install in 128mb.

freenas 7 still crashes on boot with a page fault, and for some reason older versions are not archived.

Status
Not open for further replies.