SOLVED Web Interface crashes after a short while (Core 12.0)

Hey all,

Having an issue which i cant seam to get my head around.

After about around 10 minutes the web interface for my server just crashes and hangs, I can click around on the page but nothing loads.

I can still SSH into the system and access the files with an SMB Share or even stream though the Emby plugin, i can just no longer access the web interface and have to hard power off and on the system to gain access to this.

I tried searching around the forums and saw a few posts about restarting some service using the below code:

service middlewared restart

However i cant work out where i am meant to type this, I tried via SSH but just got permission denied (I assume i have to run it as the root user but i dont have the root user set up for SSH) so I'm a little lost, this also seams to be a temporary fix as this code would just restart the web server which I can only assume will run for another 10 minutes or so before it crashes again.

I also saw some mentions about this might be because the boot drive might be starting to fail, It is just an SSD plug into the internal USB port of the machine however this has been working fine for a good year so i would be surprised if this set up is now causing the issue plus a S.M.A.R.T test didn't show any issues with the drive itself.

Hope someone can help, been racking my brain trying to work out whats causing this and how to resolve it...

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Yes, you have to run this as root; however, the same effect can be accomplished via sudo service middlewared restart from a user SSH session, if the user account has sudo permissions.

Note, internal USB ports can get very hot, and cause your boot pool to disconnect. I've experienced this with my own system when I booted from the internal USB port. I now use an adapter cable to convert the motherboard's USB3 header to a single USB3 port, and use that to host my boot SSD. With the header cable, I can relocate the USB3 port farther from the motherboard for better thermal headroom.

Yes, you have to run this as root; however, the same effect can be accomplished via sudo service middlewared restart from a user SSH session, if the user account has sudo permissions.

Now that makes sense! Just tried it and works so at least i can get access again to the Web View again without having to hard reset!

Note, internal USB ports can get very hot, and cause your boot pool to disconnect. I've experienced this with my own system when I booted from the internal USB port. I now use an adapter cable to convert the motherboard's USB3 header to a single USB3 port, and use that to host my boot SSD. With the header cable, I can relocate the USB3 port farther from the motherboard for better thermal headroom.

The more i read up on this I am starting to worry it is a hardware issue, Might finally get rid of the DVD Writer thats in the server but not being used! haha

Well I finally ripped the DVD Writer out and plugged the SSD Boot drive direct into the machine instead of via the USB (I had it running in an enclosure via the internal USB)

It booted up, seams to work and then after the "magic" 10 minutes the web interface died again :(

I did get the below alert just before the web interface died

CRITICAL
Boot pool status is ONLINE: None.
06/07/2022 10:03:36 PM (Europe/London)

I'm assuming this alert is saying the drive is failing? Its a little unclear what it means 0_o

Edit: In fact, 5 minutes searching for the error message in this form shows that my boot drive has failed (See here)

Well since I know I have a boot drive to replace now I guess I can mark this as solved!

Thanks for the help

Last edited: