TrueNas broken after changing from DHCP to static IP address! Can't access web interface!

fsociety3765

Explorer
Hi all,

I must be missing something here. Everything was working fine previously. All I needed to do was change from DHCP to static and it seems to have broken everything. The static IP change seems to have worked as I can SSH into the shell. But I cannot access the web interface anymore.

Hoping this is something silly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

FS

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Did you remember to also set the default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS servers? Those parameters are also set by DHCP.

fsociety3765

Explorer
Yes. After setting the static IP and then set the default route and then I set the DNS nameservers.

I did this all from the console.

I thought I read that anything done from the console does not persist on reboot.

Redcoat

MVP
I thought I read that anything done from the console does not persist on reboot.
That's the expected behavior for changes made from the Command Line, not the Console.

fsociety3765

Explorer
Not sure what happened. But it suddenly just started working. I don't know what I did.

That's the expected behavior for changes made from the Command Line, not the Console.
Sry I’m old school. Console to me is analogous to a serial console or TELNET/SSH terminal session.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Console to me is analogous to a serial console or TELNET/SSH terminal session.
There's a text-mode menu at the console that looks like this:
1626033403520.png

If you ssh in to the server, you can also access it by running/etc/netcli (and why iX thought it was a good idea to put an executable in /etc/, you'll have to ask them). Changes made through this menu are expected to be persistent, saved to the configuration database, etc. But if you drop to the shell and start hand-editing /etc/rc.conf, you'll find those changes will be quickly lost.