FreeNAS 11.2-U3/11.1-U7 boots but freezes/crashes almost instantly

fiskmaas

Cadet
Hey all,

so I've built a system to run FreeNAS and I'm having issues where it boots most of the time, but then freezes/crashes almost immediately. I've been able to log in just a few times after fresh installs before it crashes.
Specs are as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS P10S-I
CPU: Intel Core i3 8100
Memory: 2x Kingston HP KTH-PL424E/16G 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz ECC
HDD: 6xWD Red 4TB

I have tried using a multitude of different brands of USB sticks (Kingston Datatravelers SE9 2.0, Corsair Flash Voyager, Sandisk Ultra Fit), even bought a Blu-Ray reader to install from CD and DVD and so far none of it has worked and I'm running out of ideas soon. Could it still be the USB sticks that are the problem? I've read alot about FreeNAS being sensitive to usb sticks. But I've also tried installing to both external and internal HDDs, with the same result... I'd love to hear your ideas.

Edit: Crashing at 'starting ntpd' or 'starting mdnsd' seems to be reoccurring.

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_022357.jpg
    IMG_20190413_022357.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
bad RAM, insufficient power, or insufficient cooling, would be my first guesses. if your install finishes then installing from different sources is unlikely to make a difference.
this looks like the hardware is locking up somehow, I would be greatly doubtful that there is any relation to the USB sticks.
looks like the board is mITX. if you have this in a mITX case, are you positive there is enough airflow?
do you get the same thing if you remove the disks?

fiskmaas

Cadet
EDIT: Seems it's back. Worked for a while but now it's back to the same issue... Cooling is sufficient, temps around 30-40c when it was working properly. Never got the load up but should be ok. Power supply is 450w 80+ gold, should also be sufficient... Mobo? Ram slot?

EDIT2: I'm starting to suspect the motherboard. Having same issues with other OSes aswell. Not booting properly. I did a memtest, reseated all different ram sticks, even reseated cpu. No luck. Seems RMA is the answer.

Yep, seems to be the ram. Thought I had tried it before with a different kit but I tried again and it's working much better. Can create datasets, install plugins etc. with no problems, finally. :) Thanks a bunch man!

Last edited: