Web GUI Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermanpeckel

Dabbler
Folks,

Like an excited rabbit, last night I set up my new FreeNAS install on an HP N40L. All went peachy until I got my hands on to it. The problem was setting a static IP address. Every time I did this I could no longer access the web GUI on the new static IP. I even tried the old dynamic IP to make sure. There is nothing else running on the IP I assigned, and when I do this, and the FreeNAS reboots, I can ping the IP, I just can't browse to it.

I've tried mucking around with the WEBGUI IP in the GUI. Initially it was set to 0.0.0.0, which from what I've read is correct. I've also changed it to the dynamic IP before changing the IP of the FreeNAS just to be sure.

Now, I'm sure it's a case of PEBCAK, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any thoughts? Anything...?

Regards
HP

joshnerl

Dabbler
I'm trying to get thru initial setup over the last week as well. I never touched the webgui ip - i left that at 0.0.0.0. The only place i changed my IP was on the Interfaces (Network icon > Interfaces) tab. I created a new interface (em0 for my PCI Intel nic) and assigned it an IP in the IPv4 box and the mask - 255.255.255.0 in my case. I left v6 blank and when I saved the changes, i just went up to the browser bar and put in the new IP and hit enter.

hermanpeckel

Dabbler
Cheers for the reply Josh!

Yeah, that is basically what I did on my first of many attempts. You did raise a couple of "maybes" though. Currently I'm using the onboard NIC of the N40L. Maybe that is causing problems?

When I view all network interfaces via the web GUI it currently says "no interfaces defined". Now, I realise that this NIC currently is on DHCP, but it should still be a network interface no? When I go to "add interface" the NIC dropdown field is already populated with bge0, but no other options are defined. It is that NIC that I change to a static IP, and it is then that it all goes pear-shaped.

joshnerl

Dabbler
I'd double-check the IP4 Netmask and make sure it's the same as your router. I'm not a networking expert, but I'd think that if you had that mask wrong - or not defined - it'd restrict you from getting to that IP, even if it's really there.

hermanpeckel

Dabbler
Yeah, the net mask is ok I think. For a network of 192.168.0.*, it is 255.255.255.0.

Before you reconfigured your NIC, was it displaying in the menu as one of the network interfaces do you remember? I've attached a JPG of what mine currently looks like. When I fill in those fields and save, I get a message saying updating, then I can't connect (on the new or old IP).

Attachments

• FreeNAS NIC Issue.jpg
    FreeNAS NIC Issue.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 242

hermanpeckel

Dabbler
Actually, I've also tried configuring the network interface through the console setup screen on the server using "1. Configure Network Interfaces". Same deal. It lets me, it even tells me I can access the web interface via the new IP, but I can't.

paleoN

Wizard
Deja Vu

Do or did you ever have more than one NIC in your server?
What version of FreeNAS are you using?
After you set the Static IP try running these commands from the shell and see what they say:
Code:
netstat -rn

ifconfig

Also, your network details, just the LAN part. What's plugged into what, there IPs, subnet info, ...

hermanpeckel

Dabbler
Ha!! I have a strange feeling you may have helped out with this issue before.

I'm at work at the moment, but will run the ifconfig when I get home.

The network, being a home network, is nothing special. Everything is on the same 192.168.0.* IP range with a 255.255.255.0 mask. DHCP range is .100 - .200. The un-static IP'd machine picks up 192.168.0.103 initially, and communicates fine. Before I apply the static IP of 192.168.0.20, I ping it, nothing. Then I apply it and I can ping it, but when I browse to it (in IE, Firefox and Safari on different machines) I get web page could not be displayed.

It's a dilly of a pickle let me tell you!

PS. And no, the server is new. Only ever the onboard NIC.

hermanpeckel

Dabbler
I thought I'd better close this one off.

I reinstalled FreeNAS onto a different USB stick last night, booted up, changed the IP, and all went swimmingly. I'm still not exactly sure what the problem was, but the magic reinstall did the trick.

Thanks for your help guys.

HP

Status
Not open for further replies.