FREENAS access without static/dynamic IP

Savad

Cadet
Hello,

I've just set up a FREENAS file server. It works great, though I can not resolve one situation. I need to access my disks remotely but my provider does not provide me (sorry) with static/dynamic IP - I am hidden behind some NATs. A lot of ready-made NAS solutions have web and IOS/Android client access, which does not depend on IP adress - you just register your devices and it works. I tried to find something similar in FREENAS plugin library, but failed. Even nextcloud does not seem to work without static IP. Is there a way to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

melloa

Wizard
Considering you are talking about tcp/ip network, all is based on IPs. If you don't have static IPs, use some application to capture your current IP and update a dynamic DNS provider.
Regarding accessing your data, you will need the above, configure your router NAT to open and forward the required ports, etc.
FreeNAS itself has the services for you to access the data from within the LAN, i.e.: NFS, Samba, etc. Open those ports to the internet is a big risk, so I wouldn't recommend.
Me, personally, have the Dynamic IP problem solved by my pfSense, as it has builtin Dynamic DNS services to update my DNS provider and, for the files access, I used NextCloud.
Good luck!

Savad

Cadet
Considering you are talking about tcp/ip network, all is based on IPs. If you don't have static IPs, use some application to capture your current IP and update a dynamic DNS provider.
Regarding accessing your data, you will need the above, configure your router NAT to open and forward the required ports, etc.
FreeNAS itself has the services for you to access the data from within the LAN, i.e.: NFS, Samba, etc. Open those ports to the internet is a big risk, so I wouldn't recommend.
Me, personally, have the Dynamic IP problem solved by my pfSense, as it has builtin Dynamic DNS services to update my DNS provider and, for the files access, I used NextCloud.
Good luck!

thank you very much for your input! I tried to do it, but DDNS is not an option in my network. Provider allocated the router for internet access in my premises but I have no access to it, so no tuning is possible

melloa

Wizard
If you check your ip with whatsmyip what do you get?
you can also test xpenology to see if that works for you.