Was the 9.10.1-U1 update tested? Update failure discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dlavigne

If there is an issue with the Guide contents in the GUI itself, please make a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and mark it as a GUI bug rather than a doc bug.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Docs seem to work fine on my backup server, with 9.10.1-U1. They also look much nicer than the old format.

nifoc

Dabbler
Does anyone know why exactly a media user/group has to be added at this stage in the 9.10 lifecycle? What will this new user/group be used for?

I manually added a media group to easily give multiple programs (running inside separate jails) access to the same set of files. I imagine a lot of users have done something similar.
Can someone from iX clarify if whatever the new media user/group is for will mess with this setup?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know why exactly a media user/group has to be added at this stage in the 9.10 lifecycle?
This question really needs to be addressed. What change is happening in a maintenance release that requires adding a system user/group, and why is it happening in a maintenance release? The implementation was obviously problematic (I'm sure there's a way to implement CREATE USER IF NOT EXIST rather than simply CREATE USER), but focusing on that bypasses the question of why it's being done in the first place in a maintenance release of STABLE software. @jkh? @Kris Moore?

And why is this update still out there and borking servers? Why hasn't it been pulled?

Scharbag

Guru
Update failed on my system. Should have looked at the forum before upgrading.

It killed my ability to run VMs. I did not run it long enough to see if other stuff was not working well.

I reverted to 9.10 (d989edd) - thanks for having that feature btw.

This upgrade, from the sounds of it, was not tested very well. This does not really seem to be something that should be on the "stable" train...

I had a working jail which was running CUPS with a HP LaserJet 1320 attached via USB to my FreeNAS unit. I upgraded and the jail could no longer see the printer or any USB device. After spending four hours trying to figure it out I found these threads and reverted back to 9.10.1 (d989edd) which fixed the issue for me.

Last edited:

ChiknNutz

Patron
My update also failed on trying to move to 9.10.1-U1 so I reverted to 9.10.1 for now.

Sakuru

Guru
I have a suggestion. Some number of days before releasing an update the devs announce it's ready to test. Everyone willing to test switches to the Nightlies train. That way updates get more testing and people aren't testing versions that aren't ready for testing.

nifoc

Dabbler
FYI: Kris answered what the media user/group is for here: Pending 9.10.1-U2

Apparently the fix is part of U2, even though it isn't mentioned anywhere.

KODB

Dabbler
I attempted to go from 9.3 to 9.10-U1 last week and had all the issues detailed above. I rolled back to my 9.3 Stable boot environment and awaited -U2. Today I attempted to use the -U2 and the same errors are present. I end up with a certificate/insecure web page despite using chrome, and all the same python2.7/django errors that Strebleo listed in post #7 of this topic. I have again selected the 9.3 boot enviroment and it is back up running 9.3 and our ZFS storage pool and jailed Owncloud instance without a problem. What am I missing to successfully implement the (hopefully) fixed -U2 upgrade?
Hardware is ASRock Rack Mini ITX DDR3 1333 Motherboards C2550D4I with 32G of proper ECC. OS is on USB stick per install recommendations in the the guide.

I am a relative FreeNAS/BSD newbie and this is my first foray into using- any helps/guidance greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my search and Google-fu
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.