[Discussion] Did the 9.10.2 update work for you?

Did the 9.10.2 update work for you?

• Yes, upgraded without a hitch!

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No, I had to roll back.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Sort of, I had to tweak some settings.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Not upgraded yet.

Votes: 15 26.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nkey_

MVP
I've previously asked if recent updates have been tested prior to being pushed out. The likes of U1 caused many problems and it appears 9.10.2 is revealing a number of problems too.

Have you upgraded and are you seeing any issues?

I've been testing in a VM, things seem to be okay for me, but a few posts have me concerned. As of now, I'm not upgrading from 9.10.1-U4. What are you guys doing?

Fredde

Explorer
I've previously asked if recent updates have been tested prior to being pushed out. The likes of U1 caused many problems and it appears 9.10.2 is revealing a number of problems too.

I've been testing in a VM, things seem to be okay for me, but a few posts have me concerned. As of now, I'm not upgrading from 9.10.1-U4. What are you guys doing?

Im staying on 9.10-1u4 untill FN-10 is release'd. Gonna concetrate to learn more about docker containers.

Last edited:

mattbbpl

Patron
I've held off upgrading because of the posts on this forum. Will probably keep it that way for a while. Frankly, I may not upgrade until 10 just because I view this thing as a piece of "infrastructure" and the new plugin/jail system will be the next big update motivator.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Seems to work fine on my backup, but it's literally only receiving snapshots, so there's little to go wrong. It was however a pain in the ass to install, which I attribute to the Toshiba USB flash drives and their atrocious random write performance.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I will likely skip this update as well as the next couple until things settle down and get sorted out. I've got a web facing jail that I don't want off line for any period of time if I can help it.

Still up in the air about 10 as well. I really like jails so I'm going to have to figure out my plan moving forward once FN9 is no longer supported.

mattbbpl

Patron
Still up in the air about 10 as well. I really like jails so I'm going to have to figure out my plan moving forward once FN9 is no longer supported.
I thought the new system was an incentive to move forward. Why are you apprehensive about the new system?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I like jails. I like how they are set up and easy to manage from the FreeNAS web UI. I also have all my snapshot tasks and automated backup tasks all set up. Everything is easy to manage from the web UI. Jails are gone in 10 so I'm not sure if I'll be upgrading to 10 at all. I just have to figure out a different strategy and I'm not sure what that will be yet.

Yes I'm spoiled by how easy things are to manage with FreeNAS.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

Scheduled snapshots and replications are executed 31 minutes later than with previous FreeNAS versions on my system. Apart from that I'm seeing no issues.

Snapshots are scheduled from 6:00 though 23:00 every 6 hours on my system. In previous FreeNAS versions this lead to execution at 6:00/12:00/18:00. In 9.10.2, snapshots scheduled this way are executed at 6:31/12:31/18:31. Possibly related to
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rc-usage-in-freenas-9-10-2.48831/#post-334712

This is not an issues for me, but maybe an issue for another types of schedule.

Kirk Gleason

Cadet
I tried twice to apply the 9.10.2 upgrade (from 9.10.1-U4). The first time, I tried it from a remote location. My internet blipped out, and the web UI lost the connection to the back end. I rebooted. It seemed as if my plugins and jails all booted up properly and seemed to be working, but the webui wasn't there. I ssh'd in and got an error about a missing library (I'm sorry I didn't write it down) when I attempted to sudo. So I ssh'd in as root, and did

Code:
# beadm activate 9.10.1-U4

I rebooted, only to find that I was still in the 9.10.2 BE. Lather, rinse, repeat; same result. `beadmn list` showed that I should have been rebooting back into 9.10.1-U4, it just wasn't happening. This was going to be fun ;-)

I ran the activate command again, this time paying attention to it. It spit out an error stating that grub couldn't be updated. That would seem to explain it. So I did

Code:
#mkdir /tmp/old-be
#beadm mount 9.10.1-U4 /tmp/old-be

figuring that I could grab the grub.cfg from the old BE, drop it in place, and reboot again. No such luck, since grub.cfg didn't seem to be in the expected place.

I finally got out of the bad BE with the following:

Code:
# cp /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak
# cat /boot/grub/grub/cfg | sed 's/9.10.2/9.10.1-U4/g' > /boot/grub/grub.new
# mv /boot/grub/grub.new /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# chmod 600 /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After a reboot, I was back in 9.10.1-U4, and I deleted the 9.10.2 boot environment.

That was yesterday. Since I assumed that all of this breakage was my fault for attempting an upgrade over a VPN, I decided to try again this morning, when I am on the same network as the FreeNAS box.

The upgrade job is once again stuck at 20% (installing base OS), and has been sitting there for about 30 minutes now. When I ssh in, I see the following:

Code:
#beadm list
BE  Active Mountpoint  Space Created	  Nickname
default  -  -  931.3M 2015-01-31 03:34	default
9.10.1  -  -  884.4M 2016-08-10 18:30	9.10.1
9.10.1-U2 -  -  1.3G 2016-10-11 07:12	9.10.1-U2
9.10.1-U4 NR  /  6.3G 2016-11-10 10:04	9.10.1-U4
9.10.2  -  /var/tmp/tmp9NF_Gz  13.2M 2016-12-23 07:27	9.10.2

I don't see any sort of failed update log in /data, nor do I see anything particularly alarming in /var/log/messages. There was some stuff that is probably related in /var/log/debug.log. I put what I think is relevant in a pastebin: http://pastebin.com/1KrQTR5p

As you can see, if this update succeeded, it didn't correctly set the boot environment, nor did it automatically reboot. I'll keep this BE around in case there is anything else I can do to help assist with this. I'm also in the IRC channel on Freenode.

UPDATE: Several hours later ....

I left the thing, and took off to run some errands. I came back, and it looks as if the update completed. Based on the current uptime, it looks as if the update took around 2.5 hours to apply itself. That's a long time.

Last edited:

oneplusme

Cadet
Mostly worked, although somehow after rebooting it seems to have lost my DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf (although they're still listed in the GUI), causing various things (update check; plugin list; etc.) to fail.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I just went to U4 six days ago, so it's obvious I don't get in a big hurry with updates.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Kirk Gleason

Cadet
Mostly worked, although somehow after rebooting it seems to have lost my DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf (although they're still listed in the GUI), causing various things (update check; plugin list; etc.) to fail.

This has been happening to me since before 9.10.1. Everytime I try to do something, I just go in and fix resolv.conf

Geoff-AU

Cadet
stuck at 20% of step 1/5 in the GUI. rebooted and I'm still on the old version. This update is definitely broken, a good proportion of people are having troubles with it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Geoff-AU

Cadet
I left it for an hour or two. It was stuck. IMO going more than 3-5 minutes without any user feedback (progress bar moving) is already too long.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
IMO going more than 3-5 minutes without any user feedback (progress bar moving) is already too long.
Yes, but this update takes exceptionally long 1-2 hour waits are not unexpected.

Geoff-AU

Cadet
If that's the case then the user should be notified, at the moment there is only a changelog (and the other thing that was broken about this update was a blank changelog).

All the other updates I've applied in the last year worked without a hitch and only took a few minutes to complete. So that's the expectation. I don't mind if an update takes an hour just tell me before I hit the go button so I'm prepared for it.

Bisquit

Dabbler
I finally got out of the bad BE with the following:

Code:
# cp /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak
# cat /boot/grub/grub/cfg | sed 's/9.10.2/9.10.1-U4/g' > /boot/grub/grub.new
# mv /boot/grub/grub.new /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# chmod 600 /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After a reboot, I was back in 9.10.1-U4, and I deleted the 9.10.2 boot environment.

Many thanks Kirk, this solved my problem after applying the 9.10.2 update. I got this error in the GUI after updating: freenas "Error: no such column: system_advanced.adv_fqdn_syslog", "error": true, "events
I was already thinking of reinstalling.

I just got started with FreeNAS this week, I am new to FreeBSD, but I have some Linux skills but mostly Windows server skills. Thank you amigo!

Last edited by a moderator:

reloaded

Dabbler
Yes, but this update takes exceptionally long 1-2 hour waits are not unexpected.
So, it's not just me then. I'm not sure if this general chaos makes me feel better or worse. Still I missed the "total boot failure" of the last update. My update just hangs at 20%, I refresh the browser and the update is stopped and if I try and restart it the message is that it's all done and I need to reboot. Then I start again, this is just rubbish this is supposed to be a system for file servers and as for it being a big update you should have a look at my Debian updates. Sorry about that but I feel a lot better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.