To Upgrade Or Not....That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello all, have a general question regarding upgrading FreeNAS and hope I can better understand what I am getting into by doing the upgrade. The questions goes like this........

If I want to upgrade to the latest version of FreeNAS what is the best way to find and understand what issues are fixed from previous build, new features, known problems already in the upgrade today, etc. As an example one of my boxes (my main server) is running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 but there is an updated pending for FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 . I know I can go to "check now" and read release notes and changelog but I don't fully understand the difference between the two. Example "Release Notes" tells me some high level information but does it pertain to just this version update? When looking at changelog hyperlink and the change log window below it they are not the same, different bugs are in one and not the other, what is the difference between the two changelogs? Regarding changelogs how am I supposed to interpret the bug classifications (Critical, Expected, Important, etc.)

I ask all of the questions above as I have an inherent nature to want to be on the latest and greatest version. I am very concerned about the work and tears I put into the box to get it where it is at today as it is working flawlessly right now. I know I need to update at some point in time to keep current but I don't fully understand how to evaluate what problems I am getting into based on the changelog information.

If any could help me process and understand this better I welcome your feedback.

upload_2017-2-16_16-6-7.png

m0nkey_

MVP
The changelog contains bug fixes, not actual known bugs.

You probably do want to update to the latest release as it contains a few CVE fixes for OpenSSL and Samba.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
What is the difference between thh ChangeLog (hyperlinked) and the Changelog: text field? They have different bug numbers it seems.

How can I tell what the known bug list is for the upgrade? My concern is that if I have some hardware that is known to have problems in the latest release maybe I would wait until the next update. And if I update and the FreeNAS OS craps out on me how can I go back to the previous version that was running fine?

Stux

MVP
The best advice is to watch the forum. There will invariably be a thread about the update. Wait for some feedback from others about any issues/regressions in the update before diving in.

Status
Not open for further replies.