Warden EOL and iocage jails are now useless -- what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
adds to the shambolic way iXsystems have managed FreeNAS over the last 18 months.
It's due to the short support cycle model that FreeBSD has adopted. Granted 11.2 has been in the cooker for quite some time but after the coral fiasco I'm sure they want to get it right before it's released.

It just might be time to weigh other options for the web facing applications. It all comes down to your individual tolerance for risk.

Stranded Camel

Explorer
Question -- what has happened to the actual on-line directory with 11.1 packages and the one with 11.1 ports? Have the FreeBSD people deleted their content and replaced it with 11.2 files? If so, could iXsystems not just copy each of these directory trees and host them themselves for FreeNAS and TrueNAS users? That would seem to be the only way to get some modicum of stability for jails, and it would require a trivial amount of disk space and bandwidth for iX.

Or are these directories still up somewhere, but with different names / addresses? If so, what's the URL and how do we point the pkg / portsnap commands at them?

raidflex

Guru
Seems like some things still have not changed even after the whole FN10 fiasco..... I really do not understand why its so hard for the devs to communicate these things instead of people finding it out when something breaks. FreeBSD has the release schedules posted many months in advanced, so its not like there isn't ample time to get the base system up to date.

I will probably end up upgrading to the RC release that hopefully comes out within the next week to take care of this issue, but I should not need to use pre-release software.

Also running a different kernel then the base system could bring some unknown issues.

jerryjharrison

Explorer
In my opinion, if you select FreeBSD as your underlying OS, you then have to adopt the underlying release and EOL cycle of that OS. I believe that FreeNAS needs to at a minimum be able to update their underlying kernel within a few days of a FreeBSD release. I am stuck with a bunch of IOCAGE jails that are in "never never land."

Stranded Camel

Explorer
I believe that FreeNAS needs to at a minimum be able to update their underlying kernel within a few days of a FreeBSD release. I am stuck with a bunch of IOCAGE jails that are in "never never land."

Cue post about how FreeNAS is actually an appliance, and we're all wrong for wanting X, which is advertised as a FreeNAS feature, to actually work right and be maintained... (where X = warden, iocage, plugins, bhyve, etc.)

bigzaj

Explorer
So is the fix to wait for 11.2 and update / upgrade existing iocage jails created in 11.1 OR will we have to re-create iocage jails in 11.2?

garm

Wizard
You will have to update your existing iocage jails when FreeNAS 11.2 comes out. Warden jails will have to be migrated to iocage

Status
Not open for further replies.