Views on what is best....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Hi,

I use PLEX, Transmission and Crashplan going forward. Also started to use NextCloud as well.

Just wanted views on the best way to host these applications going forward (Plugin, own Jail, VM, RancherOS/Docker) - ability to upgrade and keep as near to the latest application release as possible is important to me.

Appreciate experienced users views please?

Many thanks,
Mark.

m0nkey_

MVP
Plex, Transmission and NextCloud will run perfectly fine in a jail (standard jail, not plugins) and be upgraded easily. A lot of people now use CrashPlan within a Ubuntu or CentOS VM.

scrappy

Patron
I agree with m0nkey_. Plex should definitely be ran as a package install in a standard jail. I'm Ok with my Transmission running as a plugin. Nextcloud is probably best ran as a separate install from a jail.

I gave up trying to work with the Crashplan plugin and now run it in a CentOS VM.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Thanks both - what’s the reason for running CrashPlan in a VM and not a Jail? I would probably run it headless.

Thx
M

scrappy

Patron
Thanks both - what’s the reason for running CrashPlan in a VM and not a Jail? I would probably run it headless.

Thx
M
The plugin is emulating the Linux version of CrashPlan though the Linux compatibility layer on FreeBSD. It seems more often than not, updates on FreeBSD and/or the CrashPlan application cause things to break.

If your FreeNAS hardware supports virtualization just use a Linux VM for CrashPlan and be done with it. The CrashPlan plugin isn’t worth the headaches it’ll cause you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Ok th
The plugin is emulating the Linux version of CrashPlan though the Linux compatibility layer on FreeBSD. It seems more often than not, updates on FreeBSD and/or the CrashPlan application cause things to break.

If your FreeNAS hardware supports virtualization just use a Linux VM for CrashPlan and be done with it. The CrashPlan plugin isn’t worth the headaches it’ll cause you.

Ok thanks!

Tim1962

Patron
And CP Home is now end of life

Mark WatIng

Explorer
And CP Home is now end of life
Thanks am aware will probably go to the business version in the absence of anything else though.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.