/var/db/pkg permissions when attempting to install Plex

dmoore44

Cadet
I'll start off with what seems to be fairly standard for this type of post... I'm a new-ish FreeNAS user and not overly experienced with BSD, though I have a bit of experience with other *nixes. I think the issues I encounter here have to do with high degree to which FreeNAS attempts to (or, in many cases, forces) abstraction. Anyway, on to my lamentations.

Background
A few weeks ago, I powered down my FreeNAS box so that I could re-arrange the office in which it was living. Got some new furniture in and made it a nice new home. I plugged everything back in and powered the box back up, but the existing Plex server wasn't working - I was getting "Connection Refused" messages when I would attempt to access the Plex UI. So, I removed the plug-in and associated jail and decided to re-install it. This time around, rather than installing via the top level "Plug-ins" menu, I decided to follow this tutorial. The problem I am running in to is that whenever I attempt to run any pkg commands, I get the following:
Code:
root@plex:/ # pkg update
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly, please wait...
Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
pkg-static: /var/db/pkg permissions (0777) too lax

Questions
  1. What area in the GUI governs permissions over /var/db/pkg? Is that a jail-dependant location, or is it a location in the root filesystem (i.e. not located in the plex jail)?
  2. If I wanted to delete iocage and the top-level jails, what would be the impact? For ref, here's Storage -> Pools:
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.54.04 PM.png

Plato

Contributor
I think this is not related with plex at all.. Your /var/db/pkg directory somehow chmodded to 0777.. So you should set it to 0755.