Using Truenas as an S3 target and the use of region field

desquinn

Cadet
So I have TrueNas Scale on an Dell PowerEdge T420 with 8 x 1TB disks in it as a test setup. Very new to TrueNas but have some Linux experience although much more of familiar with Windows server etc. Anyway Truenas up and running and offering a share through SMB and have an S3 dataset in place.

Also have a QNAP onsite replicating to an S3 bucket using its HBS software and S3 compatible source type. Have another QNAP offsite doing similar and both of these are going great. However I wanted to test with a ReadyNas as it also supports S3 targets including compatible like wasabi. The Amazon one looks okay but as a region tag for S3 which does turn up in the Qnap when you set it on v4 but is not there on v2 of the S3 compatible source and this works fine.

Also looked at a couple of other s3 clients like duplicati and they also feature the region tag. Did a bit of searching and can only see resulting in relation to AWS regions which I get but wondering if there is some more docs or a way to get the readynas or other S3 clients working that require a region tag? Just trying to understand how it works.

As a related aside I wonder if there is any resource that explains pros and cons of using S3 as a target as opposed to Rsync as that could be an interim option for the ReadyNas devices.

TIA and if you need more info let me know. Quite liking TrueNas so far :)

desquinn

Cadet
Wondering if there is any help out there for this or if I need to provide more info on the above.

desquinn

Cadet
Just wondering if there is another S3 resource / doc that I shoud be looking at. I have it working for a couple of use cases but we have Windows servers with BackupAssist and some other clients that we would like to target on the TrueNas S3. Will maybe spin up a truenas core and see if it behaves differently.

Really stopping us from using this how we want although it is tantalisingly close.