Storj For TrueNAS - FAQ

What is Storj?

Storj is an open-source distributed object storage Web3 alternative to Amazon S3.

Why use Storj? What are the benefits of using Storj?
  1. Benefits of privacy, security, performance, and reliability
    1. Default eleven 9s of durability with no replication required
    2. Zero-trust by default using end-to-end encryption
    3. Multi GB/s performance capability
  2. 80+% cost savings
  3. Use cases requiring industry-leading RTO (recovery time objective) or distribution of large amounts of data
How does iX-Storj compare with AWS?:
  1. A Fraction of the Cost - The iX-Storj service is identical to the standard Storj service at $4 per TB per month*. This compares with single-region AWS S3 at $25 per TB per month. Bandwidth (egress) prices for iX-Storj are $7/TB* compared with AWS at $90/TB. 80% lower in price, or for the same price, store 5X the data with iX-Storj with the added value of multi-region durability.
  2. Double the Bandwidth - The iX-Storj services leverages the aggregated bandwidth capabilities of globally distributed storage. Read and Write bandwidth of GigaBytes per second is possible from a well-connected data center. Performance is typically more than double that of AWS S3, which enables much faster restoration of data.
  3. 11 Nines of Durability - This level of data protection equates to the probability of data being retained for a year at 99.999999999%. To put it in context, if storing a Petabyte of data, one object might be lost every 1,000 years. This is extremely high durability and suitable for both backup and long-term archive applications, much like AWS S3. If the data is also stored on a TrueNAS system, the durability is orders of magnitude higher than single-region AWS S3.
How can Storj be used?
  1. Running as a client
  2. Running as a Storj Node
  3. Running both at the same time
Is iX-Storj available for TrueNAS?

iX-Storj is integrated into TrueNAS CORE versions 13.0-U3 and beyond, and into TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.4 and beyond. It is recommended that TrueNAS Enterprise customers using iX-Storj consider the latest version prescribed on our software status page.

Where do I sign-up for an iX-Storj account?

https://ix.storj.io/

Who uses Storj? Here are some case studies. The main types of customers who require Storj are:
  1. IT organizations and developers looking for an alternative cloud object storage, with easy S3 compatibility, for the benefits of security, privacy, performance, and reliability
  2. Those seeking cost-savings, particularly for use cases requiring high egress or large files
How do I host a Storj node?
Here’s a brief overview: https://www.storj.io/node

I have a lot more questions. What other resources do you have that I may seek out information on my own or ask others?

Last edited:

Kazar

Cadet
Exciting!!! I think I'll build a small setup and test this out.

Kazar

Cadet
Well, got everything installed and info plugged in where I could; However, I'm not able to get it up and connected. I have the ports forwarded as needed but I must be missing some config change needed on the NAS?

Attachments

• node1.jpg
    node1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 488

Kazar

Cadet
Sorry, not too familiar with the TrueNAS Scale. Do I need to configure the Kubernetes Settings for this to work?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Sorry, not too familiar with the TrueNAS Scale. Do I need to configure the Kubernetes Settings for this to work?

So you are trying to set-up Storj storage node... not use iX-storj as a service?

I'd suggest you start a separate thread, but also provide all the detail of how you set it up. The documentation on Storj doesn't really include TrueNAS yet. We'd prefer to use the Apps.

@wsoteros The link provided above is not accurate. In TrueNAS we deploy an app and then configure. We'll need to work with docs team to better describe.

Kazar

Cadet
So you are trying to set-up Storj storage node... not use iX-storj as a service?

I'd suggest you start a separate thread, but also provide all the detail of how you set it up. The documentation on Storj doesn't really include TrueNAS yet. We'd prefer to use the Apps.

@wsoteros The link provided above is not accurate. In TrueNAS we deploy an app and then configure. We'll need to work with docs team to better describe.
This is through TrueNAS Scale APPs on the current Bluefin build. I'm trying to test it out. You're correct, there's ZERO documentation for this on TrueNAS. Just trying to get some info on it.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This is through TrueNAS Scale APPs on the current Bluefin build. I'm trying to test it out. You're correct, there's ZERO documentation for this on TrueNAS. Just trying to get some info on it.
Let's start a new thread... detail what you did including the networking/port forwarding... and then we can see how we diagnose and resolve.
Documentation on this process will come later.

donnie12

Dabbler
Did you or anyone start a seperate thread for this?
I got storj installed but cant access the web portal even when in active status. any ideas?
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.02.39 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.01.48 pm.png

M-System

Cadet
Im also very interested in reading some documentation on how to get a Storj Node up and running in Scale

Kazar

Cadet

I got storj installed but cant access the web portal even when in active status. any ideas? View attachment 58664 View attachment 58665
Looks like a firewall or routing issue. If this is on a VM it's likely a NIC or routing issue. I resolved my issue, it was with the domain name I was using, it didn't like the fact that it was a redirected domain name.... that took a little time to figure out.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Looks like a firewall or routing issue. If this is on a VM it's likely a NIC or routing issue. I resolved my issue, it was with the domain name I was using, it didn't like the fact that it was a redirected domain name.... that took a little time to figure out.
Can you do a small write-up on a new thread... would be very useful.

donnie12

Dabbler
i still haven't figured it out. all others apps like plex and what ever else i install work just fine its just Storj. Any suggestions on troubleshooting steps?
What domain name did you end up using? what format?

bar1

Contributor
where do i get my Secret Access Key and Access Key ID*?
didn't find anything like that in storj....
ok S3....*edit&

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
where do i get my Secret Access Key and Access Key ID*?
didn't find anything like that in storj....
ok S3....*edit&

Did you get them from storj after registering via ix-storj?

donnie12

Dabbler
Hey what was the go with the domain name? iv got the same issue where i have my ports open, i have a static WAN ip so iv put that in the domain but same issue

Jani11

Cadet

I got storj installed but cant access the web portal even when in active status. any ideas? View attachment 58664 View attachment 58665
I had the same issue.
Reason was a typo in the Domain addr.

Jani11

Cadet
But still my Node is not running correctly.

Looks to me like an Certificate problem.
Dos someone has an idea what the problem could be and how to solve it?

Here the Error Log:

ERROR
contact:service ping satellite failed {"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6", "attempts": 9, "error": "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 1x6eKynTXpgti2AVgm3JDEN1NyhuxEhoXqAr9VmgPCL2prUWJT) at address (Domain):28967: rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: tls peer certificate verification: not signed by any CA in the whitelist: CA cert", "errorVerbose": "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 1x6eKynTXpgti2AVgm3JDEN1NyhuxEhoXqAr9VmgPCL2prUWJT) at address (Domain):28967: rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: tls peer certificate verification: not signed by any CA in the whitelist: CA cert\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:139\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:98\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}

donnie12

Dabbler
But still my Node is not running correctly.

Looks to me like an Certificate problem.
Dos someone has an idea what the problem could be and how to solve it?

Here the Error Log:

ERROR
contact:service ping satellite failed {"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6", "attempts": 9, "error": "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 1x6eKynTXpgti2AVgm3JDEN1NyhuxEhoXqAr9VmgPCL2prUWJT) at address (Domain):28967: rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: tls peer certificate verification: not signed by any CA in the whitelist: CA cert", "errorVerbose": "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 1x6eKynTXpgti2AVgm3JDEN1NyhuxEhoXqAr9VmgPCL2prUWJT) at address (Domain):28967: rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: tls peer certificate verification: not signed by any CA in the whitelist: CA cert\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:139\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:98\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}
Are you installing via app or commands? just install via app if you have done both it wont work. let the app create the identity etc

Jani11

Cadet
Are you installing via app or commands? just install via app if you have done both it wont work. let the app create the identity etc
I have only installed via the app and identity was created by the app itself.