Node offline / no QUIC after following storj-node YouTube tutorial

lugro

Cadet
Hey everyone, I tried out the brand new storj-node video tutorial over at the official iX System channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gWcqxCfxBI

However, when I open the node web UI, I see
QUIC: Misconfigured

I even opened port 28967 despite the video not mentioning it as a requirement, still no change.

The pod log is flooded with entries of the following form
2022-11-09T18:38:35.710517484Z 2022-11-09T18:38:35.709Z WARN contact:service failed PingMe request to satellite {"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6", "error": "ping satellite: check-in network: failed to ping node (ID: MYNODEID) at address: my.public.tld:20988, err: contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: CRYPTO_ERROR (0x12a): tls peer certificate verification: not signed by any CA in the whitelist: CA cert", "errorVerbose": "ping satellite: check-in network: failed to ping node (ID: MYNODEID) at address: my.public.tld:20988, err: contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: CRYPTO_ERROR (0x12a): tls peer certificate verification: not signed by any CA in the whitelist: CA cert\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).requestPingMeOnce:194\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).RequestPingMeQUIC:167\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode.(*Peer).addConsoleService:868\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode.(*Peer).Run:907\n\tmain.cmdRun:251\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:378\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:396\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfigAndLogger:93\n\tmain.main:478\n\truntime.main:255"}

While I enjoy the potential convenience through the storj-node app abstraction, I'm a bit lost about where to look / debug next and would be super grateful for any hints.

lugro

Cadet
It's worth noting that while https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports indicates 20988 as open, it says 28967 isn't despite my router configuration saying it is. Are there known issues with port 28967 as something that is blacklisted for forwarding?

EDIT: I'm debugging this in parallel with the router's support team.

Last edited:

sendel93

Cadet
Hi! Im am experiencing the same issue!
I have replaced in the app configuration the default port and put 28967. After forwarding the port 28967 i have now the online status, but QUIC is still misconfigured

I have realized that the installation does NOT expose the UDP port for the App

I do not see a clear way to exposing the UDP port in the App so QUIC configuration can be completed

lugro

Cadet
Thanks for confirming the issue @sendel93. Turns out the port check shows that the port is closed because there is nothing listening on it, the port forwarding rule is in place and itself works fine.
I'm still confused that the configuration guide in the video seems to be so far off. I did use the at the time most recent version of the app (v1.66.4_1.0.4), which differs from the one they used in the video (v1.65.1_1.0.1). How would I downgrade the app to test if that makes the difference?
I noticed that in comparison to the listening ports in your setup, @sendel93, I have the following by default (including the UDP port)
Used Ports:20909\TCP, 20988\TCP, 20988\UDP
which doesn't mean anything for QUIC but if I understand your point correctly, should suffice for an "online" status at least.

EDIT: The config file says "server.address: :28967" which seems odd, or is this some k8s internal port that makes sense? But the "operator.wallet" is also empty, which makes me think this isn't the actual configuration for the current deployment because I do see a wallet in the web UI.

Last edited:

lugro

Cadet
Ok, so the reason why the open ports tool didn't show the QUIC port as open was just because nothing was listening on it while the actual forwarding on the router worked fine - which makes some sense I guess because the app container doesn't expose the ports as described in the previous post. So I'm still lost what the expected behaviour and setup workflow is that would lead to an "online" node.

trekkie

Dabbler
Any luck? I configured Storj and enabled it earlier in the week without the 28967 as it wasn't mentioned. Seemed great, was running for maybe a week now, but in my nervous habit of checking daily now suddenly today I'm showing a status of Online and Mis-configured. I'd noticed that a few times, but refreshed the page and it was gone.

Suspension and Audi are all at 100%, near as I can tell data is flowing. Logs are mostly of pieces being exchanged/deleted/etc but no messages in there about that port being open. I am unable to check the port with port check tools, but the 20909 and 20988 are fine.

After collecting all this info, i refreshed to make sure I hadn't missed something, and QUIC is OK now.

??

Guessing its a feature :) but strange.