Veeam TrueNas and S3 bucket with immutability

infraerik

Dabbler
The temptation is too big not to use it in prod aka to not compile an executable hehe – this feature just seems predestined to work with ZFS

How'd you do that? Can't seem to find any build scripts of MinIO for FreeBSD online;– not too familiar with Go's cross-platform dependencies. Just found the cross-compile.sh – let's see if I can somehow compile it successfully from FreeBSD
Just grab the file in the dropbox link :smile:

xness

Dabbler
Just grab the file in the dropbox link :smile:

I upgraded my CORE 13.0 instance to SCALE – which was its very own adventure – using the ISO via IMPI, since the plugin system will likely be deprecated in CORE as per @Kris Moore 's comment – he also outlined there might be some issues running Golang-based applications in FreeBSD

Sounds like future efforts might be directed more towards TrueNAS SCALE – though the MinIO setup on SCALE is a bit unintuitive...

J0rgepereira

Cadet
I'm trying to setup the S3 repository for use with Veeam but I cannot seem to get the certificates to work. I'm using the Microsoft CA. Does anyone have any words of wisdom :) or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Jorge

infraerik

Dabbler
Yeah - there’s some work to be done clarifying the notions and dependencies of applications/plugins/containers/helm charts/K3S/K8S in TrueNAS SCALE. At least if you go the Docker route, you should be getting the latest version directly from the repository so you can go straight to object lock. But as soon as you add networking to containers things get complicated. At least with jails you could just spin up a test using DHCP and tinker before moving to fixed IPs

xness

Dabbler
Ha! Exactly what I'm struggling with right now too. Setting up a custom DNS record + assigning the container to a specific interface with VLAN tag
Will have to do some digging where the configuration is stored – documentation doesn't seem to mention it and it doesn't seem like docker-compose is used

xness

Dabbler
I'm trying to setup the S3 repository for use with Veeam but I cannot seem to get the certificates to work. I'm using the Microsoft CA. Does anyone have any words of wisdom :) or can point me in the right direction.
My words of wisdom for anyone trying to use AD CS: Don't use AD CS
The templates were created in Server 2003 and have not been updated ever since – ECDSA is still an issue for them and also this: From Misconfigured Certificate Template to Domain Admin

Also you basically need two dedicated hosts – one for Root CA the other for intermediate CA in DMZ, since CRLs need to be published via HTTP IIS aside from the default LDAP publishing endpoint if you want certificates to work properly,
The benefits AD CS adds (mainly auto-rollout of the CA + integrated "ACME" client for computer certificates) is outweighed by the complexity of running + maintaining the infrastructure as well as the security risks.

If you want a CA, I suggest trying django-ca

Aside from that a CA is not required to get MinIO to work. Simply self-sign a certificate and it's done – your MinIO is probably in a dedicated, low access management network anyways (right?)

infraerik

Dabbler
I second that. Minio has a great little tool for generating certificates (certgen) that conform to modern standards for internal use. Otherwise I put it behind an nginx proxy and use certbot.

infraerik

Dabbler
Ha! Exactly what I'm struggling with right now too. Setting up a custom DNS record + assigning the container to a specific interface with VLAN tag
Will have to do some digging where the configuration is stored – documentation doesn't seem to mention it and it doesn't seem like docker-compose is used
Don’t forget that there are two packaged options: the default Minio app as well as the BTCharts version. The BTCharts variant gives you a lot more control over the networking because it’s a full on K3S setup. At least there, you can select the interface to connect to, while I can’t find any networking options in the default app deployment wizard. While I appreciate the move towards this modern tooling, It adds a lot of complexity, overhead and non-obvious dependencies for simple applications.

OTOH, this will drag a new generation of sysadmins into the Kubernetes era (kicking and screaming).

Image title: deploying a single container app on Kubernetes

PS: if you use BTCharts, don’t forget to add 127.0.0.1 ix-truenas to /etc/hosts in the Network > Global Configuration

Attachments

• E3DCCE5E-6FB8-4C04-A8C4-255D45E76C16.jpeg
    E3DCCE5E-6FB8-4C04-A8C4-255D45E76C16.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 95

xness

Dabbler
Don’t forget that there are two packaged options: the default Minio app as well as the BTCharts version. The BTCharts variant gives you a lot more control over the networking because it’s a full on K3S setup. At least there, you can select the interface to connect to, while I can’t find any networking options in the default app deployment wizard. While I appreciate the move towards this modern tooling, It adds a lot of complexity, overhead and non-obvious dependencies for simple applications.

OTOH, this will drag a new generation of sysadmins into the Kubernetes era (kicking and screaming).

Image title: deploying a single container app on Kubernetes

PS: if you use BTCharts, don’t forget to add 127.0.0.1 ix-truenas to /etc/hosts in the Network > Global Configuration
Yeah I used the BTCharts Kubernetes version. Hahah whether you like it or not you'll have to work through it now indeed – wanted to look into Kubernetes by the end of year once Raspberry Pi Compute Modules were more readily available.

Anyways I think I'll scratch it for now – seems a bit overengineered to me and the setup GUI is just too limiting imo; MinIO cannot even loopback to its own DNS name within the container when setting one. When trying to access MinIO it via the webinterface it errors out with "Could not connect to <ipv4-at-dns-server>:9000" aka its own address

It's a single-node deployment anyways – so using docker-compose for now; allows using all the required features and an explicit configuration approach:

Code:
version: '3.7'

services:
  minio:
    image: quay.io/minio/minio:RELEASE.2022-07-04T21-02-54Z
    container_name: s3hyper
    restart: unless-stopped
    command: server /data --console-address ":9002"
    ports:
      - "9000:9000"
      - "9002:9002"
    volumes: