Storj For TrueNAS - FAQ

MikeyG

Patron
IX is specifying 64mb in rclone (via cloud sync tasks) so you should not have 5mb multipart uploads. If this is still and issue please advise the version you are on and I'll investigate.

If you are manually running rclone see the following example command. Scale concurrency to control throughput.
Code:
rclone copy --progress --s3-upload-concurrency 8 --s3-upload-cutoff 64M --s3-chunk-size 64M data.zip rclonename:path
Thanks Dominick. I was able to get around the issue of the bucket not showing up correctly by creating the task using S3 credentials, selecting the bucket, and then changing the credentials to be Storj_IX. I have contacted support to see if adding the correct flag to my bucket will make this smoother. I probably didn't use the right link when creating my account. I don't think it had a negative impact on anything though.

I am pretty sure I am uploading with the correct segment size, since the number of segments in my bucket is not drastically larger than the number of files. The number of objects hasn't been an issue for me. Performance has though as the speed is very sporadic. It will upload at 600-800mbps for a few seconds, then pause for a few seconds before continuing, making my average upload speed around 300mbps (I have 1gbps up from my ISP).

Restore speeds are consistent at 800mbps though, so that is very nice.

Storj support indicated that IX doesn't provide an option in the GUI for how many chunks of one file can be transferred in parallel, so from what I understand when using the built in integration, I'm stuck with the current performance when transferring large files. I have experimented with increasing the number of transfers, but I think this only helps when transferring many files at once.

"Then only remained part is to tune parallelism (how many chunks of one file maybe transferred in parallel), but I did not see a configuration option for that, only number of parallel transfers (how many files transfer in parallel)." - Aleksey at Storj support

daytonajrw

Cadet
Hey @Dominick_Storj - with TrueNAS deprecating the S3 Service, will the Cloud Sync creds & tasks for Storj IX still be natively supported in TrueNAS Core? or will syncing with Storj also need to be migrated to utilize the MinIO Plugin?
MinIO Plugin

Dominick_Storj

Globally Distributed Genius
StorJ
Hey @Dominick_Storj - with TrueNAS deprecating the S3 Service, will the Cloud Sync creds & tasks for Storj IX still be natively supported in TrueNAS Core? or will syncing with Storj also need to be migrated to utilize the MinIO Plugin?
MinIO Plugin
After checking with the iX team I received the statement below. This only relates to hosting S3 buckets on TrueNAS and not backup up to S3.

"You can host S3 buckets on TrueNAS. Syncing out to providers like Storj uses rclone in the background and is fully supported in CORE/SCALE and always will be."

daytonajrw

Cadet
After checking with the iX team I received the statement below. This only relates to hosting S3 buckets on TrueNAS and not backup up to S3.

"You can host S3 buckets on TrueNAS. Syncing out to providers like Storj uses rclone in the background and is fully supported in CORE/SCALE and always will be."
That’s great to hear!! Thanks for the quick answer and I’m happy this useful service and very affordable partnership will stay

NahsiN

Dabbler
Hello I'm hosting a Storj node and running into some issues on my container. It was previously working and after some updates, it is stuck on deploying, the logs show the following
2024-03-23 17:48:00.986581-04:00downloading storagenode-updater 2024-03-23 17:48:01.000608-04:00--2024-03-23 21:48:00-- https://version.storj.io/processes/storagenode-updater/minimum/url?os=linux&arch=amd64 2024-03-23 17:48:01.016172-04:00Resolving version.storj.io (version.storj.io)... 34.173.164.90 2024-03-23 17:48:04.084544-04:00Connecting to version.storj.io (version.storj.io)|34.173.164.90|:443... failed: No route to host. 2024-03-23 17:48:04.092069-04:00http://: Invalid host name.

The App is installed using Trunas charts and is on the latest version. On the Storj website someone asked a similar question https://forum.storj.io/t/no-route-to-host-http-invalid-host-name/23643/23 but I am unsure of what their solution was. Has anyone else come across this issue?