Storj For TrueNAS - FAQ

donnie12

Dabbler
I have only installed via the app and identity was created by the app itself.
i had the same issue and it was caused by my identity being in the wrong location. Try a fresh install and don't add a customer host path for identity. let me know how you go

Jani11

Cadet
i had the same issue and it was caused by my identity being in the wrong location. Try a fresh install and don't add a customer host path for identity. let me know how you go
I did not use a custom host path for the identity or am I misinterpreting some values in Truenas?
Did you use the Truecharts version or the stock one?

Edit:

It is working now after some fiddeling arround.
It most likely was an problem with the identity.

1665680992227.png

Last edited:

odabajo

Cadet
Has anyone tried using Storj as a Cloud Sync destination? I have added my account from StorjDCS creating a S3 credential on the service and a Storj-iX account in TrueNAS. Looks like the credentials are valid but it is not showing any bucket.

Any ideas?

donnie12

Dabbler
Has anyone tried using Storj as a Cloud Sync destination? I have added my account from StorjDCS creating a S3 credential on the service and a Storj-iX account in TrueNAS. Looks like the credentials are valid but it is not showing any bucket.

Any ideas?
Same thing with me, from what I researched it’s a known issue and truenas will resolve at some point.

crkinard

Explorer
Ick. Uses QUIC which I block on my netowrk.

Alecmascot

Guru

Any ideas?
Works for me on Core

I'm on CORE 13-U3.1
I can't seem to configure it. When I choose iX Storj it does not give any options
1671035865994.png

Attachments

• 1671035845125.png
    1671035845125.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 224

Alecmascot

Guru
Youre mising the rh portion of the screen. Try clearing the browser cache.

ptyork

Dabbler
Re: Cloud Sync, TrueNAS (scale/bluefin) seems not to allow you to specify an existing Bucket (all are greyed out). But it DID let me add a new bucket. And it shows success syncing with the new Bucket.

Apparently, when you set up the S3 credentials in Storj, you will specify a passphrase. That is the passphrase that the new bucket will be encrypted with. But buckets not created with those credentials are not accessible, even if you use the same encryption passphrase.

Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Regardless, this is a very different and interesting paradigm.

NugentS

MVP

Any ideas?
I have been using Storj as an S3 destination for a month or so now. Works quite well. I am however using Duplicati to do the backup not because Scale didn't work, but because Scale uploaded each file individually which created an awful lot of objects (the backup source is 500,000 ish small files) whereas duplicati keeps the objects in check.

MikeyG

Patron
I just starting using the integration with TrueNAS Core to store data with Storj. Upon noticing some erratic transfer speeds, their support informed me that the default chunk size is being set to 5MB instead of the recommended 64MB which can slow down transfers and incur higher costs of storage.

They recommended it be changed to 64MB, but but there is no option to modify the chunk size for Storj like you can with B2. Does anyone know anything about that?

NugentS

MVP
Not a problem I noticed.
I assume you are using the GUI / Cloud Sync Tasks. I had to stop that due as I said above to the number of objects stored reaching silly numbers and costing a lot (if I wasn't testing on the free tier) and it was a ache to remove that many objects.
I moved to duplicati - which worked, but suffered from the usual duplicati issues

MikeyG

Patron
Not a problem I noticed.
I assume you are using the GUI / Cloud Sync Tasks. I had to stop that due as I said above to the number of objects stored reaching silly numbers and costing a lot (if I wasn't testing on the free tier) and it was a ache to remove that many objects.
I moved to duplicati - which worked, but suffered from the usual duplicati issues
Thanks. Yes, using a Cloud Sync Task. Most of my files are large, so I'm thinking I shouldn't need to use something like Duplicati to keep the number of objects down.

EtienneB

Explorer
At the beginning of this thread I see that Storj was targeted to be in 13.0U3.
Is that only for the Cloud task (which I have seen in UI)? Or does it imply that there will be an official plugin/jail in Core for a Storj Node?

visamp

Dabbler
Does anyone know if using Storj for data is HIPPA compliant or the like? I wouldn't mind using it for family photo backups, but what about sensitive data or patient protected data, etc.? I understand the technology is encrypted and decentralized; I guess I'm asking about information of general liability and whatnot and standards met.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Does anyone know if using Storj for data is HIPPA compliant or the like? I wouldn't mind using it for family photo backups, but what about sensitive data or patient protected data, etc.? I understand the technology is encrypted and decentralized; I guess I'm asking about information of general liability and whatnot and standards met.

The data is fully encrypted by TrueNAS. Storj doesn't impact HIPPA compliance.

HIPPA requires you to operate your TrueNAS very carefully..... if you stored other people's info.

Dominick_Storj

Globally Distributed Genius
StorJ

Any ideas?

Dominick with Storj here. Make sure you sign up through the partner link and do not use an existing Storj account. If you are using an existing Storj account from storj.io you will need to put in a ticket with Storj at Storj DCS Support and ask us to put the (ix-storj-1) attribution on whatever buckets you would like to be visible to your NAS.

If you are a new Storj user we advise you just make a new account via the partner link above.

Dominick_Storj

Globally Distributed Genius
StorJ
Thanks. Yes, using a Cloud Sync Task. Most of my files are large, so I'm thinking I shouldn't need to use something like Duplicati to keep the number of objects down.
IX is specifying 64mb in rclone (via cloud sync tasks) so you should not have 5mb multipart uploads. If this is still and issue please advise the version you are on and I'll investigate.

If you are manually running rclone see the following example command. Scale concurrency to control throughput.
Code:
rclone copy --progress --s3-upload-concurrency 8 --s3-upload-cutoff 64M --s3-chunk-size 64M data.zip rclonename:path