Using the word "FreeNAS" on logo, datasheet etc

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I guess,, could we say the same about a sticker that says 'FreeNAS inside' or 'Powered by FreeNAS' ?
You might want to take a look at how this company handles it:
https://www.45drives.com/products/storinator-xl60-configurations.php
They sell servers. They give the buyer the option of several operating systems: Centos, Debian, Ubuntu and FreeNAS. They also have some support information in their knowledgebase that covers FreeNAS: http://knowledgebase.45drives.com/

Where I work, they bought one of this company's systems a few years ago. It had no marking on the outside about anything other than their own company.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I look forward to hearing what comes from your call to iXsystems.

It looks like someone is making these stickers. I don't think it is Dell...

1559854248493.png

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Dotty

Contributor
I never called iXsystems, I found it was easier just to do without, instead of having licensing and copyright issues. It was just to diferenciate the boxes in their rack but at the end nobody but me care. I ended up building the boxes with no stickers at all and no quick-start guide. The customers that wanted me to put a NAS for them have their own IT people and are fine with Open Source, as long as it worked, and they have my phone/email, and if Im not longer around they know FreeNAS is free and an active project and they can take over their own boxes anytime. I use a monitoring software to check the box and shares are online and thats pretty much it. I installed a few V9's and recently one V11 , I have some test boxes at my office and one at home. Some of them built on U-NAS chassis, some Dell C2100 and my recent one using Supermicro. The customers get a part list, they buy it and I put it together, they pay me for monitoring and help in case if needed as part of everything else I do for them. Earlier while looking at solutions for my customers, I put at FreeBSD vanilla server with everything, but it had no middleware or GUI, it worked just fine but running it on plain shell was nothing I wanted to do, so I ended up using FreeNAS.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Man, they aren't even selling the new logo. Amateurs.

To answer the original question more directly for future people to find, FreeNAS is open source, and bits and pieces can be used to create other software products. However, the intellectual property, including the word mark (name), logo, and typeface, are registered trademarks of iXsystems. They may not be used in commerce by another party without the express written consent of iXsystems through a licensing agreement. It's the same as FreeBSD or other open source projects. You can take the code but not the brand.

Dotty

Contributor
Man, they aren't even selling the new logo. Amateurs.

To answer the original question more directly for future people to find, FreeNAS is open source, and bits and pieces can be used to create other software products. However, the intellectual property, including the word mark (name), logo, and typeface, are registered trademarks of iXsystems. They may not be used in commerce by another party without the express written consent of iXsystems through a licensing agreement. It's the same as FreeBSD or other open source projects. You can take the code but not the brand.

Im the OP, actually on the original question I was asking to give explicit credit to FreeNAS. Basically I wanted to put a sticker on the box itself and some text on the datasheet (datasheet with specs of the hardware) that expresses clearly that the software inside was "FreeNAS" and not something developed by me, but at the same time saying that I put together the hardware.
Obviously I could put a bigger sticker with more words and give a paper with a longer explanation, but I wanted just a small sticker.
I perceived controversies from other responders, so I became apprehensive about the whole thing.
Like I said yesterday, for me this ended up being more complicated in terms of interpreting the licensing, so eventually I did without.
But thanks for a more precise answer on this.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Im the OP, actually on the original question I was asking to give explicit credit to FreeNAS. Basically I wanted to put a sticker on the box itself and some text on the datasheet (datasheet with specs of the hardware) that expresses clearly that the software inside was "FreeNAS" and not something developed by me, but at the same time saying that I put together the hardware.
Obviously I could put a bigger sticker with more words and give a paper with a longer explanation, but I wanted just a small sticker.
I perceived controversies from other responders, so I became apprehensive about the whole thing.
Like I said yesterday, for me this ended up being more complicated in terms of interpreting the licensing, so eventually I did without.
But thanks for a more precise answer on this.

No worries :). I know some time has passed on this but if you still want to use a sticker with the logo on your box or builds i can try to help you make that a reality. Our IP licensing agreement is pretty minimalistic and usually just includes attribution on the packaging and website that FreeNAS is a trademark of iXsystems.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer