Using FreeNAS as a file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Funk

Dabbler
I currently have a client that is using a 2003 R2 server as a central file storage device for all their users My Documents. It is obviously time to do something with this server and I am thinking of using a FreeNAS to act as the file server for all users to replace this older server. My question is, can I replicate the folder permissions for each folder that exist on the current server? It is imperative that these permissions are transferred so that users cannot get access to others folders. Is this easily accomplished? I have 400 plus users and am trying to avoid setting up permissions for that many folders. Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes it's possible if you figure out how to do it. I would probably use rsync to transfer all the files. You will need to do lots of testing because with that many users you probably have lots of data and lots of edge case's. I wonder if active directory has a fancy way of doing something like this?

Matt Funk

Dabbler
I have used robocopy in the past to copy files, permissions, timestamp info, etc but was not sure if that would work going to a FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.