How to Inherit Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Im having a real headache with this so would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

I have a Dataset called 'Shared' which is a Windows Share type with Windows permissions. I manage the few users I have from FreeNAS itself so no directory involved. The owner is an admin account I created called admin and the group owner is admin too. After that I manage peoples permissions to the folder via a windows box using the security tab. I have several users that have access of which I allow them everything except Full control, Take ownership, Change permissions and Delete.

Now the problem I have is that when a user creates a folder within 'Shared' they become the owner of that folder which in itself isn't a big deal however but when I add a new user to the box and need to grant them access to all files and folders within 'Shared' I add them to the 'Shared' folder via Windows and select 'Replace all child object permissions... etc'. Although this works well it changes the folder owner on any of the sub-folders and replaces them with my admin account. Now if a new file is created within that folder that user cannot see it by default but all the others can. When I look at the permission they are no longer there but the others users are. This appears to happen as they were there as the owner and when this changed they had no permissions and were removed.

I hope this makes sense.

Essentially I need a way of stopping the user from becoming the owner when they create a folder and then this wouldn't happen.

Look forward to your thoughts.

I've sorted it I think so no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.