Not open for further replies.

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
Setup:

Build: FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b)
Platform: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630T @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 7864MB

Hello,

Let me start with my configuration. I use Windows CIFS for my shares, and I have 3 accounts: 2 admin and 1 user accounts. The two admin accounts have full access to everything, and one is obviously an owner. The other is a guest account I mapped for users in the house to access our media folders with only read, execute, and list security rights. Admin 1 is the default owner of the entire share, which is set when the share was created. My problem that I'm running into is that when Admin 2 creates a file, the owner isn't inherited from the parent folder. Because this happens, Admin 1 cannot see any of the files downloaded or created by Admin 2. This is a big pain because I have to actively update the ACL of all the folders to include Admin 1, since there's no way to know when Admin 2 creates or downloads files.

What's strange is, when Admin 2 creates a file, it creates an ACL for Admin 2 (full rights) and User 1 (read, execute, and list rights). The only thing absent is Admin 1. When Admin 1 creates a file, it shows creates an ACL for all 3 (Admin 1, Admin 2, and User 1). There are a few directories that I do not want Admin 2 to have access to, since our main machine that does all of our downloading uses Admin 2.

I've recently updated to FREENAS 9.1 STABLE, and since I have, the webgui has changed slightly. There's a lot of things that were removed, shifted around, or changed altogether. The one specifically that has me confused is where the CIFS settings are. It looks like it got changed out with SMB instead of CIFS? There was also a checkbox for "Inherit Owner?" Is that the box that I need to check to make sure that the Owner is also the same as the Parent Folder? Since it is no longer there, what's my other option?

Thank you in advanced for your time and any help you can provide.

Stux

MVP
Samba has a bunch of settings for controlling ownership inheritance, is inherrit_acls, inherrit_owner etc. some of these might resolve this issue, but I haven't played with them yet, so can't say.

Sorry.

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
Samba has a bunch of settings for controlling ownership inheritance, is inherrit_acls, inherrit_owner etc. some of these might resolve this issue, but I haven't played with them yet, so can't say.

Sorry.

That's exactly what I was hunting for in the SMB menu (used to be CIFS), and both of those you mentioned are nowhere to be found. I even tried doing a ctrl + f on the manual for "inherit owner," and I couldn't find anything after FREENAS 9.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.