Using 2 NICs in VirtualBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
Hey guys I'd like to setup a a VirtualBox jail so that I can run pfSense in it (I know, not the most secure idea but I don't have $380 right now for their 2 port router, I should be able to get it by the end of the year). I found this post that explains how to get two interfaces setup in the jail and it works (meaning that the jail shows two interfaces and VB sees both) but the newly created interface doesn't seem to have a connection to anything, even though both cables are connected to my FiOS router. I'm not the greatest with networking/routing so I'm trying to figure it out., but I'm sure I'm missing something

I'm even having issues now getting my second interface connected in my FreeNAS interface, I would like for both interfaces to be part of the same network, but it won't let me do so in the GUI. I've gotten it to accept 192.168.2.0/24 but then I can't reach 192.168.1.6 (the primary IP) or 192.168.2.1 (secondary IP).

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
On a scale from 1 to 10 of how much I disrecommend this course of action, I'd give this a 9.82.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why would you need to spend $380 for one of their units when you can build your own for pennies?

brando56894

Wizard
I don't have any spare PCs laying around, I picked one out of someone's trash a while ago and could never get the damn thing to boot anything other than Windows XP that was already installed on it. $380 is the cost of their dual port router with an intel atom, 2 GB DDR3, 60 GB m2 SSD and single antenna wifi radio. It also comes with a year of support and a subscription to their newest snort rules, also you're kind of paying them back for making awesome software.

I don't have much money so in the mean time, my verizon router is pissing me off because you can't turn half of the features off and it's interfering with my webserver and lab that I'm trying to setup, so I'd like to go the cheap way and learn a few things in the process.

I did find this on newegg which does look pretty tempting.....

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
my verizon router is pissing me off
Just so we're clear on this, if you have Verizon FiOS, you basically *CAN'T* turn that thing off, unless you go through really horrifying machinations, and even then, you might lose some of your TV services. Nothing is more constricting than being a FiOS customer.

Your pfSense box that you're talking about building, you'd probably wind up connecting is as a client to your FiOS Actiontec router anyway. It's not like you're going to replace that router. For one, 95% of those operate on MoCA, and there are presently zero manufacturers making MoCA to ethernet bridges, which you would need if you were going to take Verizon's box completely out of the loop.

Just saying.

brando56894

Wizard
I can definitely get rid of it because I only use their service for internet, I have the TV package only because it's cheaper but never watch it (the box isn't even plugged in) so losing TV isn't an issue. It's also connected from the ONT to the router via Ethernet so there's no issue there either. I did my research and this will work because various people have done it in the past. The only issue is that it takes forever to acquire a DHCP lease, at first I thought it was an issue with the jail setup (probably still is) but then I figured I'd try to get it to work internally first so I can verify the second interface actually does work but the router itself wouldn't acquire a lease even after rebooting the ONT and the router multiple times. I finally found a post that suggested unpluging the ONT for two hours and then booting it back up, once I did that it finally acquired an IP again.

Also by "horrifying mechinations" do you mean just turning the router into a bridge? I've read about people doing that before and it doesn't look to be too difficult, also even if it was using MoCA I've seen numerous people say that you can simply call up Verizon and ask them to switch it from MoCA to Ethernet, people have done it in the past. Please don't tell me that I can't do it because lots of people have done it in the past.

tvsjr

Guru
A FreeNAS box (or any internal, trusted box) shouldn't be a firewall. You don't need to spend $380 for a two-port pfSense box. You can buy SFF PCs on eBay for literally $20 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-GX745-...606051?hash=item419d3897e3:g:dPEAAOSwQTVWBqjm) - throw a extra NIC or three in, and you have a perfectly serviceable box. The calculations of PC cost vs. power cost are left as an exercise for you. There are Atom-based FX160s available for $50 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...636276?hash=item46418f8834:g:x1MAAOSwEetWARnn). Links are not an endorsement. For the FX160, you'd need to add a second NIC via a USB adapter (meh) or use VLAN trunking on the single interface (assuming you have a switch that supports 802.1Q).

You certainly can maintain all TV functions and eliminate the ActionTec router. It's some effort, but can be done. DSLReports has a great resource showing several possible network designs, plus the implementation guidelines and limitations of each. Netgear (MCAB1001), DLink (DXN-221), and others do make layer-2 Ethernet to MoCA bridges. However, the best bet is to switch over to pure Ethernet. It's far more reliable than MoCA anyway.

brando56894

Wizard
The problem is that I live in a studio outside of NYC (Hoboken, NJ) so space is at a premium (350 sq ft or so with literally no closets), hence the reason why I want something small, quiet and low power. If I was living back in my grandparent's old house in Southern New Jersey where I had 2 floors and a large basement all to myself I'd scoop up one of those old Dells in a heartbeat since I could just stick it in the basement and not have to hear or see it unless I wanted to but that's not the case. My NAS is next to my desktop and it's already kinda loud, so I definitely don't want to add to the noise, nor do I want a gigantic desktop sticking out like an eyesore (I already have my full-tower desktop out in the open).

So instead of trying to persuade me out of trying this and getting something else can someone just answer my original question about how to bridge the physical interface to a virtual interface in the jail? If I get hacked, it's my fault, I know what the dangers are and I'm going to take the necessary precautions. Forget about the Verizon FiOS aspect of it also because that isn't an issue because as stated above there's tons of information about how to get this to work (that's where I learned that it was possible). This is the exact reason why I was debating on whether or not to even mention that I would be running pfSense in the jail because I knew I'd get a sh!tstorm of "it's not a good idea!" posts, just the same as when you say that you're trying to run something as root just to figure out if the issue is a permission problem and everyone comes out of the woodwork just to say "you shouldn't run things as root!".

m0nkey_

MVP
Small, quiet and cheap.. why not a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X for $50USD .. https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/ .. It'll give you everything pfSense can do in a very small box. I switched from a miniITX running pfSense to the EdgeMAX POE, performance is pretty good and does everything pfSense used to do.

brando56894

Wizard
I ended up just buying the box I posted above, a 4 GB SO-DIMM stick and a 60 GB SSD for $200 instead of arguing with you guys and fighting to get it to work in the jail.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It's not really about fighting and arguing with us as much as it is that it just won't work properly...

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
So you paid $150 more than needed for an ERL? I'm using one as well, and it is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.