iSCSI: Interface with DHCP cannot be assigned to portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestboy

Contributor
I'm currently experimenting with iSCSI and want to try MPIO. I'm running 9.2.1.8 and have 2 NICs:
  • igb0 has IP 172.22.22.22/24 from DHCP.
  • igb1 has IP 172.23.23.22/24 assigned statically.
Now, when I try to add both interfaces to the iSCSI portal for MPIO, then I can only find the interface with the statically assigned address in the dropdown. The interface with DHCP is not listed.

3Abj6lX.png

I wonder is this a known limitation or a bug? Or is there a configuration issue I'm currently not aware of?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
is igb0 actually setup in the webgui? often people don't actually "set up" the dhcp card because its already working as DHCP.

bestboy

Contributor
Yes, I think so:
3nE7oFy.png

Also it seems that I could use the DHCP interface to bind the web GUI:
NxVYjHh.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm.. I don't have any recommendations. I just checked on my server and it works for me. /shrug

Can you post your hardware and a debug file?

bestboy

Contributor
Yes sure. Hardware is just the standard home user rig.
  • Supermicro X10SLM+-F
  • Intel Xeon E3 1230 v3
  • 16 GB Kingston DDR3L ECC RAM
  • IBM M1015 HBA
  • 4x 3TB WD Reds in a 2x2 mirror pool
  • 2x Intel i210AT NICs (onboard)
version history is 9.1.1 -> 9.2.1.6 -> 9.2.1.8

I'll consult the manual about how to create a debug file and report back later.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I received the debug via PM.

I don't know what to say. The debug isn't showing any errors.

I would go back to the FreeNAS documentation and make sure you are performing all of the applicable steps. I'm convinced you missed a step somewhere.

bestboy

Contributor
I rechecked my iSCSI configuration but could not find any issues with it. Other than not giving me the DHCP device option it works flawlessly, so I don't think there is a configuration issue from my part.

I also tried to recreate my network interfaces. I deleted them from the web UI and then switched to the main console via IPMI. In the network section I resetted both devices, configured them anew and added them in the Web UI again. Still no luck with the DHCP interface in the portal.

At that point I gave up and just assigned a static IP address to igb0. The static IP then worked as expected and I could add both interface to the portal. Finally my MPIO test could begin.

Erm.. nope. It could not. I had to learn that MPIO is not supported by the Windows 7 iSCSI initiator I wanted to use.
esVmUGD.png

But luckily there is a poor mans MPIO available in Windows 7. It's called Multiple Connected Sessions (MCS) and part of the iSCSI RFC. It's basically MPIO-by-the-initiator (in contrast to real MPIO which is MPIO-by-the-kernel).
So I gave MCS a run then. Unfortunately this did not work with the new ctl target I have been using in FreeNAS.
As it turns out ctl does not allow for multiple connections per sessions.
uCZmu98.png

I checked the ctld.conf for some options to configure more connections. I tried to set
maxproc number
The limit for concurrently running child processes handling incoming connections. The default is 30. A setting of 0 disables the limit.
Global options:
num_threads
Specifies number of backend threads to use for this LUN.
but could not get ctl to allow multiple connections in the end.

When I switched the target in FreeNAS to istgt, then multiple connections per session were possible (default: 8). However, the results with istgt were pretty sucky. With 2 round-robin connections and multi-threading it was still slower than ctl with a single connection.
bmJZGW3.png

Setup: FreeNAS --(iscsi)--> Windows 7 --(device)--> Windows 7 @ VMWare Workstation

conclusions and open questions:
  • M$ sucks for intentionally crippling the W7 initiator
  • I suspect my config DB contains some garbage when it comes to iSCSI configuration. I get the weird DHCP interface behavior and I found an orphaned auth group in the ctl.conf that is not listed in the UI.
  • Can someone provide information if (and how) it is possible to use multiple connections in ctl?
  • istgt is slower than ctl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.