Plugins not starting after router upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cen

Dabbler
I used to have FreeNAS plugged into my ISP router on 192.168.1.0/24 but now after upgrade it's on 192.168.2.0/24

No plugin works right now ("Some error has occured"). What I did:

1. Changed jails configuration to IPv4 network 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.2.1 start, 192.168.2.254 end
2. Changed jail IPs to 192.168.2.152, 153, 154 etc
3. The only interface gets IP via DHCP and I have a static DHCP rule on router to always give 192.168.2.150 to freenas, Web UI is bind to that address and works with no problems
4. If I try to run plugins from jail console: service transmission restart it seems to work with no errors.
5. /var/log/messages has no useful information. In general when plugin fails to start, what is the goto place to try and find out what the problem is? "Some error has occured" is the most unhelpful error of all times.

krikboh

Patron
Did you update your gateway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cen

Dabbler
Network Settings -> Global Configuration -> IPv4 Default Gateway -> 192.168.2.1 (router IP)

DVitoD

Explorer
Did you ping your jails?

DVitoD

Explorer
Then there's one problem :D

1. Are the jails running?
  2. And do they have gotten an IP?
  3. Is that jail IP in the new 192.168.2.x - range AND outside the router's DHCP range?

cen

Dabbler
1. Yes
2. See point #2 in first post
3. Yes, and no, they are in the DHCP range. Is that a problem?

DVitoD

Explorer
1. Yes
2. See point #2 in first post
3. Yes, and no, they are in the DHCP range. Is that a problem?

Fixed IP's should never be in the DHCP range. I take it your ISP-router is the usual bloatware (decent routers don't even allow it in the first place).

Can you do this:
  1. Don't put a static IP for jails in FreeNAS: let the router do this. Stop the plugins, then stop the jails, then put them all on DHCP in FreeNAS.
  2. In your router, assign static IP's for the jails, outside the DHCP-range.
  3. Reboot your NAS, reboot your ISP-router so you are sure all settings are freshly read at boot.

PS Actually, crap like what you are experiencing was the very reason why I got rid of all these crappy retail 'high quality secure blablabla' modem/routers, and the ISP 'all in one very stable modem/router junk'. Spontaneous reboots, connections dropping, buggy firmware upgrades pushed to them, static IP's spontaneously becoming DHCP, settings not remembered after reboots, crappy CPU's and RAM, and not to mention the built in backdoors so the outside can snoop on your LAN when you are sleeping. As I simply adore FreeBSD I went the pfSense route, and couldn't be happier.

cen

Dabbler
Basically, I don't see jails on the router side so I can't give them manual IPs.
I've changed DHCP range to 2-199 and jail range to 200-254.

Jails config

jailcfg.png

Jails
jconf2.png

General config and router DHCP settings
conf3.png
conf4.png

krikboh

Patron
How about configuring Nameservers?

DVitoD

Explorer
In your screenshot in FreeNAS the jails do not have an IP even 'though they are running.

?

Assuming you noted down the MAC's correctly, and suggesting you take the two IP's in your router out of the DHCP range (:)), and you rebooted stuff, I can think of two things now:
  1. Short term: keep the static IP's as they are in your router, and assign them in the corresponding jails also. I know I said not to do that, but we need to get something to work here.
  2. Long term (tomorrow...:D): go buy decent hardware, install pfSense, put your ISP-appliance in modem only, and never be bothered again with this crap that is stealing your most precious asset, your time, from you.
BTW: where did you get the MAC's from the jails from? Router log?

Last edited:

DVitoD

Explorer
Sorry, double post.

DVitoD

Explorer
How about configuring Nameservers?

There is a Google server in the router settings, that should work. From what I see in the screenshots the problem is no IP's.

cen

Dabbler
Ok, now if I set static IP, jail responds to ping and igb0 in jail shell has the proper IP.

Jails can't use DHCP right? I JUST assign them IPs out of DHCP range and that's pretty much it?

Last edited:

DVitoD

Explorer
Ok, now if I set static IP, jail responds to ping and igb0 in jail shell has the proper IP.

Jails can't use DHCP right? I JUST assign them IPs out of DHCP range and that's pretty much it?

Jails can use DHCP, but you mostly don't want that, as typically jails run servers you want to access via a bookmark (e.g. transmission: 192.168.2.500) (spot the trap here? :D) or have an rsync script on.

So most of the time you will want servers to have static IP's, and clients to have DHCP. And from that comes: servers always get a static IP outside of the DHCP-range.

So, does it work now?

DVitoD

Explorer

cen

Dabbler
Yes, it works now.

I never got the jail MAC's, router never saw them.

Thanks for all the help, the fact that static IPs must be out of DHCP is new to me. The whole IP stack confuses me sometimes, sorry about that. :P

DVitoD

Explorer
You're welcome, glad I could help you :D

Can you answer my above question? How did you get the MAC's?

cen

Dabbler
Well I did answer.. I never got the MAC. I mean, when I said that "I can't see jail's MAC in the router" it simply meant that I couldn't see any new MAC addresses besides the existing devices (phones, PCs etc).

Apparently jails have the same MAC as freenas anyway so what I should actually see (and I do now) 2 of the same ones with different IPs.

DVitoD

Explorer
Well I did answer.. I never got the MAC. I mean, when I said that "I can't see jail's MAC in the router" it simply meant that I couldn't see any new MAC addresses besides the existing devices (phones, PCs etc).

Ok, so the MAC's in the screenshots were not from the jails? I thought they were.

So we'll round it up like this: your ISP-appliance sucks (already knew that, all ISP-appliances do :D). The root cause appears to be that you set up jail IP's within the DHCP range of the ISP-appliance, which made it choke (as all these crappy ISP-appliances do :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.