SOLVED User Password & Pool Offline

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Finally got back into my server after shutting down to move the rack power. While relieved, I was surprised that my password was not accepted. The ROOT account worked and I got in.
The user and group name was there. The password was missing, but reentered and saved user and group settings. Exited to log back in and the password was not accepted. Used ROOT go in and do it again three times with same result.

I also noticed the dashboard saying the Data Pool is named but offline. Digging around but being careful what I am clicking on, I can see the MnK-Share is enabled.

1615344548423.png

1615345144779.png

Attachments

• 1615344139772.png
    1615344139772.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 162

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
mfisyspd0

That tells me that you have a RAID card installed, so you could potentially be in a Bad Situation here.

Do you in fact have a RAID card (I can't tell from your posting history, but I do see you're on a Dell R420) and was this server completely without power at any point during the "rack power move" or was at least one PSU always connected and providing standby wattage? The normal "RAID card" in the R420 is the PERC H710 which does have "NVcache" or "flash-backed write cache" but the controller's battery still needs to be good enough to dump cache there, and both the memory and NAND need to be healthy as well.

Last edited:

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Oh-Oh...That doesnt sound good.
First, this server has two PSUs but I completely shut everything down softly and ran new dedicated AC circuit before powering it up. Second, this unit did have a RAID array setup but trying to recall which level I set it up for. Currently 3 matching 3TB drives and a 2TB that I was going to upgrade to match. IIRC, the battery was replaced during the refurbish and iDrac show it is good. The RAID controller is showing up as a PERC H310.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You've got a couple of disks marked as "foreign" - I imagine you might need to import them. Without knowing what your RAID configuration is though I can't be certain. Definitely don't do anything that says "re-initialize" or similar wording that would imply erasure.

The good news is that not only does the H310 not have any cache to lose, it can also be flashed (even the "Mini/Monolithic" style) into a proper non-RAID HBA. If everything was set simply as a non-RAID disk and passed through, it would be able to be done in-place; but without knowing what your RAID configuration was, I'm hesitant to say "just flash it" because if you made anything more complex, that would make the data inaccessible.

You also appear to have 1x 300G and 3x 3T drives there - no 2T to be seen.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Used ROOT go in and do it again three times with same result.
If you meant to login to the web UI, you can only do this with root. Other users are for file sharing, only.

Mrfix71

Dabbler
You guys are so helpful! I wish I had more time to learn this stuff, my schedule right now is something else. Trying to find some notes on the RAID configuration I used, but the server setup & configuration notes and related files should have been stored on the server. Bad idea looking at it now.

Patrick, if I understand you correctly...when I log into the web GUI, the only user-password is the ROOT? That would explain quite a bit.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Patrick, if I understand you correctly...when I log into the web GUI, the only user-password is the ROOT? That would explain quite a bit.
Yes, the web UI can only be used by root.

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Been doing a bunch of reading, late in the night to see if I spot a solution to my Pool-Offline problem. I have a notification "CRITICAL pool state is offline. None." The pool is listed but shows "UNKNOWN".
1615422236400.png

When I click on the gear, I get blank Pool Status columns.
1615422061218.png

The disk available list looks like there are only two drives, but there is supposed to be 3ea of the 3TB drives.
I have taken them out and reinserted them 1 at a time to ensure they are seated and all.
1615422151042.png

Running the camcontrol devlist command, I can see this:
1615422595919.png

Not really sure how to interpret the information to fix the Pool accessibility. Slowly getting somewhere though.

Redcoat

MVP
Last edited:

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Going thru the iDrac settings, which is soooo much easier than relying on the console menu and sitting by the rack itself. I can see settings for RAID-1, but recall opting for RAID-5 after reading up on the different uses. If anything, I can do screenshots and share directly now vs trying to describe what I see. Going thru the menus again but without actually selecting any action at this point, I recall these screens when I configured the raid array last year.
1615463666407.png 1615464028946.png
It looks like the RAID configuration and virtual disk disappeared. If I opt to create virtual disk, will that overwrite the data? Similarly, if I select Physical Disk 0:1:1 and convert to RAID will it overwrite the existing data?

How can I look at the existing data on these drives? Trying to log in thru Windows Explorer the previously set username/PW does not work nor does the Root.
1615469198559.png

Mrfix71

Dabbler
SOLVED!!!! I was able to recover the previous RAID setting thru the iDrac and rebooting. The virtual drive has been restored and the data is accessible.