Help Salvaging My Offline Pool

ch36u3v4r4

Cadet
Hey folks,
Thanks for taking some time to look at another joker with an Offline Pool. I didn't have the parity I thought, because one of my disks faulted and took a whole pool offline. I checked the disk off the HBA, with new cables, and on other devices and it's not showing up anywhere. No clicking, and I can hear/feel it spinning in there but I assume something happened to the controller.
I received this error:
Pool Media state is UNAVAIL: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. There are insufficient replicas for the pool to continue functioning. The following devices are not healthy: DISK ATA WDC WD100EMAZ-00 JEGKSN42 is FAULTED
The pool is not available to import via the GUI. It shows as OFFLINE with a red X and the only available option is EXPORT/DISCONNECT. The disk is not visible in the GUI and the other disks from the pool are marked as N/A in the Pool column.
zpool status reports only on my other pools. zpool status -v Media returns: cannot open 'Media': no such pool

Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool import
   pool: Media
     id: 674135120315166027
  state: UNAVAIL
 action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
        devices and try again.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
 config:

Media                                         UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          gptid/8f78797d-1696-11e9-ad3b-e03f4948081f  UNAVAIL  cannot open
          gptid/2da8bee8-d0fb-11e4-ad47-e03f4948081f  ONLINE
          gptid/26b8ea0f-49d2-11e6-913d-e03f4948081f  ONLINE
          gptid/285e793f-49d2-11e6-913d-e03f4948081f  ONLINE
          gptid/640119f3-c16f-11ea-a2d4-002590473f9f  ONLINE

Thankfully I haven't lost anything irreplaceable. Just a bunch of DVDs I'll need to rip again. Having accepted that I've hosed myself, I would be very appreciative of any advice on salvaging any data possible for my new, safer, Media pool.

In case it matters and to try to follow the rules, here's my system info:
TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1
Supermico X10SLL-F
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3
32 GB DDR3 EEC
LSI 9201-8i SAS HBA

My apologies if I missed anything, and thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Nick2253

Wizard
First off, make sure that it's not just a TrueNAS issue. Verify that you can't see the drive in the BIOS, and make sure that it shows as undetectable in a different system.

If your drive is still nominally working, you may be able to get it back into the system. I would try different ports and different cables. You might also try removing the drive from the system for 24+ hours (no power, no data), and see if that might be enough to clear any capacitors or stray charge from the drive, allowing it to come back online.

Specialized ZFS data recovery tools do exist, but they are pretty expensive. Otherwise, if you've lost one of the drives in your non-redundant pool, you're pretty much SOL.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I didn't have the parity I thought,
You created your pool with no parity or redundancy. If you can't get the missing disk back online, that means that all data on the pool is lost, barring whatever can be recovered by a data recovery service.

Did you create your pool with the GUI?

If you tried to create a striped vdev (in this case a stripe of 5 drives), I'm fairly sure the GUI will spit out a warning and require you to explicitly confirm before it allows you to continue.

ch36u3v4r4

Cadet
Thanks Nick2253, yeah it was invisible to the HBA, and I added it to my windows desktop internal SATA but no luck. Tried with a dock to see if USB would work better. Nada. Interestingly, since it was a shucked drive and I still had the enclosure I put it back in and tried on Windows. The drive wasn't visible to the OS however Klennet did detect it (it hadn't when it was on SATA) though I'm not sure if that was a false positive. I had Klennet run but the drive showed up as empty. It took some time and the drive did heat up a little.
I was aware of the risk back when I made the pool (though IIRC there wasn't an "are you sure?" on that version) but you're correct, winnielinnie that it does require that now. Red letters and everything!
Unfortunately, data recovery is way more than I am willing to spend to avoid ripping discs so I'll just move forward with a new pool that shows that I value my time. Since I don't need the old disks for that, maybe someday I'll get bold enough to try buying a new controller for the disk and swapping the BIOS chip just in case there is a resurrection.
Thanks for your time, sages.