User location - not shown after forum software update

Arwen

MVP
Since the forum software update, the little blurb on each user's post no longer shows their location.

That was handy to determine if wording of a potential issue could also be a language issue.

Can that be added back?

(Of course some of us used bogus locations like "Middle Earth" :smile:. But mine was actually somewhat descriptive because I live in middle of the U.S., in Missouri.)

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
This seems fine to me, this is what I see in Ganz großes Kino theme:
Screenshot_2019-01-08 User location - not shown after forum software update.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Oh ok. Are there any information or old screenshots that show what is being described when it was working? If I know where and how, I might be able to modify whatever as necessary to return this effect.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are there any information or old screenshots that show what is being described when it was working?
Previously (and I tried a couple of different themes and didn't notice a change here), the location would appear with the user information (joined date, # of messages, # of thanks, etc.) on the left below the username, avatar, and title. It looks like you might have removed that information as well in the Kino themes, but it's definitely there (minus the location) in the "New Style" theme.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Previously (and I tried a couple of different themes and didn't notice a change here), the location would appear with the user information (joined date, # of messages, # of thanks, etc.) on the left below the username, avatar, and title. It looks like you might have removed that information as well in the Kino themes, but it's definitely there (minus the location) in the "New Style" theme.

Ok. If structure is still remaining, then it should be a simple thing to fix. I did not modify any structural templates for the themes, only made adjustments to the CSS for how things appear. If for whatever reason it wasn't already visible, I would not have been able to 'inspect element' to discover the style properties. Within the newer inspect element "toolset" is the capability to search the HTML, which might be what I'd have to do. I'll try to see what I can accomplish in the next day or two. Also, perhaps the HTML would indicate any sort of toggle which might be controlled by a site config setting, and if so, then I would only be adjusting the appearance after it was enabled.

After looking at what is in Ganz großes Kino theme, it seems that the information that may have been in plain sight and static, is now a tooltip activated by hovering over each user name or avatar image. The only values that are present but hidden, in the user/author panel to the right of the message, is the ID number of the message and I believe, he last seen time/date. Those items could probably be made visible (the second wouldn't be redundant) but other things would either require a structural change or a site config adjustment if it is even a toggle in there.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I would think that this information would have been display one of two ways. Either it is baked in to the core forum software and is an option in the admin control panel or it was made available via a plugin or mod. I would guess the former since that's a pretty popular option with most of the forum software I played around with but I'm not at all familiar with Xenforo so I can't say for sure.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I would think that this information would have been display one of two ways. Either it is baked in to the core forum software and is an option in the admin control panel or it was made available via a plugin or mod. I would guess the former since that's a pretty popular option with most of the forum software I played around with but I'm not at all familiar with Xenforo so I can't say for sure.
I just looked around in the site configuration sections for anything that might remotely be applicable to the hover vs static display of user location, but did not see anything. Either it is an addon/plugin or it would require modification to the structure instead of CSS.

Arwen

MVP
Thank you for looking so far, (I know BOfH are not known to be helpful :smile:.

Yes, we can use the hover over feature, IF we know to look for location.

In some cases we are responding to a person's request without thinking about location. If the location were visable all the time, then we may notice it and understand that the issue may be language not technical.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Thank you for looking so far, (I know BOfH are not known to be helpful :).

Yes, we can use the hover over feature, IF we know to look for location.

In some cases we are responding to a person's request without thinking about location. If the location were visable all the time, then we may notice it and understand that the issue may be language not technical.
I completely understand the need and how it would be useful. I was unable to find a setting and wondering if there was a plugin/addon that affects or affected it. Before too long I might hack on the structural templates for my themes and it would function there. I do not plan to make those same adjustments (once finalized and functioning) to the New Style theme.