USB 3.0 Support in FreeNAS 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nite244

Dabbler
Has anyone tried a USB 3.0 device in FreeNAS 8 yet? I have a new Sandy Bridge mobo with USB 3.0 and was going to try to see what sort of performance I can get from using a USB 3.0 memory stick as a cache device, but FreeNAS doesn't seem to recognize the stick at all. From what I can find online it appears USB 3.0 support is in FreeBSD 8.2, so I'm not sure what's at fault here?

- FreeNAS 8.0.1 Beta 2 x64
- Asus P8H67-M EVO Rev 3.0 mobo
- Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB USB 3.0

Thanks!

pauldonovan

Explorer
The xhci kernel module required for USB3.0 support was only added to FreeNAS a couple of days ago. It should be in the next release.

Paul

nite244

Dabbler
The xhci kernel module required for USB3.0 support was only added to FreeNAS a couple of days ago. It should be in the next release.

Great to hear - thanks for the update! With that said, is next release 8.0.1 Beta 3 or 8.0.1 Release or 8.1? :)

nite244

Dabbler
For those interested, it does appear that USB3 support is now in FreeNAS 8.0.1 Beta3 x64, as the USB stick I was trying to get working is now recognized. I haven't tested speeds or anything yet, but having the device recognized is a great step forward.

Thanks to all who worked to implement that feature!

B

Bohs Hansen

can confirm that. Have no usb3 devices to test it with though, but the system recognises the 2 ports i have as USB3 since beta3

M

Manolis Stamatogiannakis

USB 3 disk on a USB 2 port

This may sound stupid, but do I need USB 3 support to use FreeNAS from a USB 3 disk connected on a USB 2 port?

From what I've tried, the USB 3 disk boots, the kernel loads but the attempt to mount the root FS fails.

After booting from a USB 2 disk and plugging the USB 3 disk, I noticed a console message that says that the plugged USB device is not recognized.

Thanks!

pilothaz

Cadet
Is this something that will also be brought into the Freenas 7 versions? I am trying to use a friends new 500gb usb 3.0 hdd on my freenas server but it isn't showing up at all. All I see is a da0 that shows 0mb.

Any ideas on what this could be and if it would be fixed in the next build?

Z300M

Guru
When I connect my USB 3.0 NTFS-formatted 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk to one of my machine's USB 3.0 ports (Asus F1A75-V Pro motherboard), it is not seen. When I connect it to a USB 2.0 port, it is detected as ada4

but when I try to mount it

mkdir /mnt/ntfs
mount -t ntfs dev/da4s1 /mnt/ntfs

I get

fuse: failed to open fuse device: no such file or directory
fuse_mount failed.
Unmounting /dev/da4s1 (Seagate Replica)

Z300M

Guru
And if I can't get USB3 speeds I might as well just copy stuff from that external drive over the LAN

joeschmuck

Old Man
USB 3.0 support is coming but I'm not sure when we will see it actually working well.

Z300M

Guru
USB 3.0 support is coming but I'm not sure when we will see it actually working well.

After updating the motherboard BIOS*, the USB 3.0 drive is seen when connected to a USB 3.0 port, and I was able to mount it after adding the fuse driver/module (or whatever it is).

*Asus says this new BIOS is to "improve system stability." Why can't they be honest enough to say, "Some features didn't work with the previous one"?

The add-in IDE card still works (it didn't with the two-versions-ago BIOS). Next to check after the system's been up a while whether the time and date stay OK (they didn't with the previous BIOS).

Status
Not open for further replies.