[FreeNAS 11.2-BETA2] GA-P55A-UD6 will not POST when FreeNAS is installed on USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nmitsia

Dabbler
Well i own an LGA 1156 mobo - GA-P55A-UD6 with an i7-860 and 8GB of RAM. The thing is that i install normally FreeNAS on a USB stick from CD-ROM, but then when i try to boot it, my mobo cannot even POST. If i remove the attached USB the PC runs just fine. That happens only when the FreeNAS USB stick is detected as i tried many other OS's with many other sticks (Ubuntu, Kali, DSL, Arch, Windows Server 2016) and everything works fine with normal booting and POST.

Also tried to let mobo POST normally without the USB stick, press F12 for one time boot options & then attach the USB. Unfortunately as soon as you attach the USB stick with the installed FreeNAS the PC becomes unresponsive. Tried changing all BIOS settings but no luck.

I even tried to boot into Ubuntu, run GParted and reconfigure boot flags on the USB Stick where the FreeNAS is installed, but GParted cant configure such parameters as most probably cannot "see" the ZFS file system.

The only workaround that i see, is installing FreeNAS on an internal SSD or HDD, but that will waste a whole device just for 8GB.

The whole scenario is to run FreeNAS for NAS and run a VM of Windows to host a custom made .NET program, and also run other apps from FreeNAS. I know 8GB or RAM is not much but for the purpose that i want its an adequate config i believe.

So to make things clear. The problem must be the BIOS image - not good writing code (i have installed the latest one - F12C) in combination with the whole structure of the FreeNAS and ZFS file system support.

At this point what can i do? Other than throwing in trashcan my mobo... ^(;,;)^

P.S.: I tried attaching USB sticks with FreeNAS installed on USB 3.0 & USB 2.0 ports with the same effect.
P.S.2: I try to use FreeNAS 11.2-BETA2.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
I even tried to boot into Ubuntu, run GParted and reconfigure boot flags on the USB Stick
Did you boot Ubuntu from USB? If anything is booting from USB, the system is POSTing fine. Is the FreeNAS USB drive USB 3? I know some have had issues booting USB3 drives on some systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.