Is there a list with (in)compatible USB sticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venefyxatu

Cadet
After a lot of searching, headdesking and related activities I came to the conclusion that my brand spanking new USB stick with FreeNAS 9.1.1 would not boot because the USB stick itself is not supported. (8GB EMtec)

At work I tried a different one (8GB Transcend) which does work. Root cause found: the stick.

So my question: is there a list somewhere detailing which USB sticks are (in)compatible with FreeNAS? Because I don't feel like buying 30 sticks in the vague hope that one of them might work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Primarily because its quite common for the same model number to actually contain more than 1 design for hardware, so claiming brand X model Y works with FreeNAS doesn't mean it will work for you. The only advice given regularly is to use name brands like Sandisk, Corsair, Mushkin, Transcend, etc.

Z300M

Guru
After a lot of searching, headdesking and related activities I came to the conclusion that my brand spanking new USB stick with FreeNAS 9.1.1 would not boot because the USB stick itself is not supported. (8GB EMtec)

At work I tried a different one (8GB Transcend) which does work. Root cause found: the stick.

So my question: is there a list somewhere detailing which USB sticks are (in)compatible with FreeNAS? Because I don't feel like buying 30 sticks in the vague hope that one of them might work.
No list, but I can report that I found a SanDisk Cruzer Fit to work well for me -- and it protrudes just a few mm, which makes it much less likely to be bumped, with possible resultant damage to the connector into which it is plugged.

DJ9

Contributor
I've had good luck with SanDisk 8GB, and Pny 16GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.