Xeon E3 v5 (Skylake) Asrock C236 boards (ECC support)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
I did pick up a $35AU graphics card from my local pc store. Nvidia GT750 (not gtx)
Again, you might get it cheaper via other means.

Still waiting for my board to arrive though. It's only been 5 working days since it ordered it.

I'll tell you how it goes when it arrives

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
Oh, if you tell Newegg that your in Australia some items don't show in searches.
Take that Asrock rack board. Search it in USA you will find it. Switch to Australia and its gone.
You would need it use wisp.net.au if you want it in Australia. Asrock sales pointed me to them.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks for that - yeah I also found a few products on NewEgg disapearing when I switched to Australia.
I'm very undecided on Xeon D 4C/8T , Denverton 8C or Xeon E3 12xx V5 - all three have benefits - but I'm leaning towards the first 2. The E3- 12xx might be quite difficult to cool in the environment I'm hoping to use it in..... Sub 50w would be ideal.

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
What case would you use? Must be mini-ITX right?
Ill share with you some temps when I stress test it.

diskdiddler

Wizard
My intention is a Node 304 - my place peaks at 33c (inside) in the exceptionally bad summer days.....

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
I am in the same situation. Same case. Tt sometimes pushes 45c outside in summer (western Sydney)
I have air conditioning for my bedroom only. I need chillers on my fishtank etc...

Its been cooler recently, but ill be sure to tell you ambient temps when I run these test.
They do say the node 304 has good flow.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yeah there's 3 fans in the thing and I'd have my kmart desk fan at the front of it. I figure the absoloute maximum CPU I could put in there would be a 65W - with a 3'rd party cooler.
That being said, my N54L with 6 drives, 2 core cpu, 2 USB, PSU - the whole lot is like under 75W draw once it's working if I recall, pretty amazing

Stux

MVP
Once upon a time you could get newegg to ship US only stuff to AU by putting the items into your cart in the US site and checking out on the Australian site. But they seem to have closed that loophole. :(

diskdiddler

Wizard
I have US contacts who can mail to me. There are ways, expensive ways.

Stux

MVP
And then if you ever need to RMA you're up a creek :(

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
I got this put together last night. Its a tight fit in the case.
memtest passed and temperatures looked ok (idle in the mid-20's, mid-30's while copying data)
ill need to find a piece of software to stress the CPU and check temps. Ambient temps are not so high at the moment.

I am having an issue though that ill need to create a new thread for.
I jumped straight to Corral. After awhile when copying the files, the server becomes unresponsive. I cannot load the web ui or shares.
The plex docker though, is still working fine. I can load up the web client and start watching content.
I had to force power-off the system.

The weirdness continues though as I was unable to boot back on the USB. It was not visible as a boot device.
Twice this has happened, and I needed to pull the USB out of the board and plug it again, then power up.
I would usually suspect the USB to be faulty, but I believe Freenas loads the OS from USB then doesn't use it again until next boot?
Could be a mobo issue, so ill have to check for Bios updates.
Before I left for work I removed it from the port inside and plugged it into the rear port.
I'll see if its crashed when I get home, and if so, can it reboot directly without remove/reinsert.

Please let me know if you have any ideas

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'd be inclined to run memtest at least 3 to 5 passes and prime 95 on the CPU (under Windows unfortunately) for at least 2 hours.
You may want to try a diff USB key but I'd also maybe want to try FreeNAS 9 for a week or 2 as painful as that would be, at least you then eliminate the potential Corral issue straight away.

Though to be honest, Corral has it's issues, I'm unhappy with how it was released, it shouldn't hang, FreeBSD is stable and people are reporting wackyness but not outright instability.

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
I didn't state above, but when it hung i went back to the physical box connected to my monitor to check it.
In one case I was on shell (previously ran 'ifconfig' to get the IP address). The shell was responding, but when I typed exit (with intent to return to CLI) it just hung
On the 2nd time, i was already on the CLI. It was not even accepting keyboard input.

I think its a corral issue, and the other issue with the USB is a separate issue (this USB problem didn't happen when i properly rebooted the server, only when holding power btn to power off)

ill run some more memtest86+ when I get home this afternoon.
I don't have any problem with nuking the install and booting Windows. I was considering it anyway. I did use Ultimate Boot CD to stress test the CPU, but since it didnt show me temps while the test was running i stopped it early. I still want to stress test it and record max temp.

If you have anymore recommended windows tools, let me know. I'll just do it when I get home.
I could also switch to Corral nightlies for awhile. get the bug fixes early

ccssid

Explorer

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
CPU burn in running right now for past 30min.
Its 26c in the house, and CPU is at 38c stable. (case is open at the moment)

I think this will be fine during summer. it should only be stuck on 100% like this when transcoding, which wont be too often.

The CPU choice you were debating about before should not matter about temps.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
CPU burn in running right now for past 30min.
Its 26c in the house, and CPU is at 38c stable. (case is open at the moment)
That's no stress test, that's a leisurely stroll through the park.

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
according to 'top' command, it was pegged at 100% usage the whole time.
I cant stress it anymore, i can only stress it longer instead.

I think i fixed my problem anyway. I'll know within the next 30min if I have.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
according to 'top' command, it was pegged at 100% usage the whole time.
I cant stress it anymore, i can only stress it longer instead.

I think i fixed my problem anyway. I'll know within the next 30min if I have.
It might be at 100%, but unless you're cooling it with something exotic, the temperature indicates that it's far from stressed and is being bottlenecked by something, pretty badly, too.

eyeofmaat

Dabbler
No idea. I was using Ultimate Boot CD. Not sure its quality, or accuracy. I have, until now, assumed it to be correct.
It didn't feel physically hot to touch either.

Its not the stock cooler, but I wouldn't call it exotic.

Stux

MVP
Run mprime. There is a version for FreeBSD which works fine in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.